what's your weakest link in the studio ?

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: what's your weakest link in the studio ?

Post by ::BLM:: »

the space im in is the weakest link. needs to be bigger.
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

(-) i think a mouse or a fly chewed my sound card :-sadflower serious i left the side panel off? and it binged twice prety loud i thought it was tin bit flexin ...dont think it was? dun kno?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

AK wrote:Motivation.

In terms of equipment, I could always say I could have bigger and better things, that's potentially an infinite greed/gear lust but realistically, the weakest link for me is me and motivation. A lot of the time I'm just not interested.
yeah, but I'm not necessarily talking about getting the biggest and best studio.
I'm saying, if you look at your current setup, no matter how small or big, cheap or expensive,
what's the weakest link ?

motivation ?
I never find myself lacking motivation to be in the studio making sounds or making music, but I'm almost never motivated enough to finish a track.
I have tons of half finished tracks.
I guess I'm always more attracted to starting with new stuff again than I am to working further on what I already got.
But since music is only a passion to me and no source of income, I shouldn't care too much as long as I'm having fun, right ?

I had this guy in the studio last friday and he makes this cheapo commercial house with Rnb mixed stuff, and said
"man, I just made one hit, and now the record company only wants me to make more of the same stuff,
(in fact, his newest hit was just his own track from 2 years earlier with a black guy rapping on top of it,
always handy : stealing from yourself :lol: )
but I'm trying to get away from that"
I couldn't help thinking that if you didn't want to make a certain type of music, you simply stopped doing so.
It's only because he wants the money and has no other source of income than his music that he keeps giving them what they want.

oh well, to each his own...
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

NoAffiliation wrote:too much (*) (*) (*) (*)

makes me get bored and want to make new sh!t
I used to smoke tons of the stuff years ago.
It was actually restarting music about 10 years ago that slowly made me lose interest in smoking pot all the time.
I found myself not being able to focus at all on the music thing, so I stopped smoking after a while.
This only made my beer-abuse go way up though :lol:
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Hades wrote:
AK wrote:Motivation.

In terms of equipment, I could always say I could have bigger and better things, that's potentially an infinite greed/gear lust but realistically, the weakest link for me is me and motivation. A lot of the time I'm just not interested.
yeah, but I'm not necessarily talking about getting the biggest and best studio.
I'm saying, if you look at your current setup, no matter how small or big, cheap or expensive,
what's the weakest link ?

motivation ?
I never find myself lacking motivation to be in the studio making sounds or making music, but I'm almost never motivated enough to finish a track.
I have tons of half finished tracks.
I guess I'm always more attracted to starting with new stuff again than I am to working further on what I already got.
But since music is only a passion to me and no source of income, I shouldn't care too much as long as I'm having fun, right ?

I had this guy in the studio last friday and he makes this cheapo commercial house with Rnb mixed stuff, and said
"man, I just made one hit, and now the record company only wants me to make more of the same stuff,
(in fact, his newest hit was just his own track from 2 years earlier with a black guy rapping on top of it,
always handy : stealing from yourself :lol: )
but I'm trying to get away from that"
I couldn't help thinking that if you didn't want to make a certain type of music, you simply stopped doing so.
It's only because he wants the money and has no other source of income than his music that he keeps giving them what they want.

oh well, to each his own...

Ditto that ( each to their own. ) See I couldn't do that though, if I were writing music for a source of income, I'd have to and I'd have to see it as work like any other job but I'm not. It's always been a thing that I wanted to do ever since getting into it. I tend to go through periods of inactivity, I just get bored with all music - both listening and creating and wonder what the hell I am actually into sometimes. I'm struggling to find the time as well, I have weekends but I keep getting phone calls to go out with a few mates and if I don't get out, I feel like a hermit.

Having said that, next month I might feel totally inspired, it's just the way it is with me, I don't think about it any longer or question it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

luco wrote:(-) i think a mouse or a fly chewed my sound card :-sadflower serious i left the side panel off? and it binged twice prety loud i thought it was tin bit flexin ...dont think it was? dun kno?
What? :lol:

How big are these insects?
ethereal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ethereal »

As stupid as it sounds... my midi controller. I have an old oxygen8 that spits out random midi messages now and again that turns my synth off at the most annoying moments. Its pissed me off so much ive resorted to just using the mouse and 'drawing' chords in -urk . I know its an easy and cheapish problem to solve but i just never seem to get my arse into gear to go and find a new one... so what im really saying is the problem is me being lazy :lol:
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

Me.