konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Perfect cookie cutter side chain patch?

Post by konzee »

Hails my minimalistic allies!
Ohh your posts! I love them!
I have yet another question for you.

I obviously know about all uses of side-chaining, and know that this is not the main use, so spare me the heat!
But in this post I am talking about the commercial-main stream-techno side-chaining from the kick applied to the lead, you know the IN-AND-OUT effect brought to attention to the main stream mostly by deadmau5.
Question is;

What does the PERFECT sidechain patch for this look like? I cant get mine absolutly perfect, it always sounds some what sloppy or un even. I'm assuming its a perfect amount of attack and threshold and ratio.
I am coming from logic so a screen shot of logic's default compressor with this patch applied would be absolutely perfect and ideal, but any explanation would be much appreciated as well.

PS: I recently inherited waves complete from my brother.. OMG. But I either have to become, legit* to use, Or get lion I'm hearing?(AU Manager not picking it up) Oh well, not important I'll figure it out soon enough.

(* = STOP SOPA ;] )
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Perfect cookie cutter side chain patch?

Post by tone-def »

people on this forum generally make underground house and techno. nobody is trying to sound like deadmau5 so your probably better off going to gearslutz for this question.

it's kind of like going to a bicycle forum and asking questions on how to fix motorbike engines.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Sound you want to duck into compressor. The sound you want to trigger the duck into the side chain input of the compressor.

deadmau5 all up in this sh1t.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

tone-def wrote:people on this forum generally make underground house and techno. nobody is trying to sound like deadmau5 so your probably better off going to gearslutz for this question.

it's kind of like going to a bicycle forum and asking questions on how to fix motorbike engines.
Cheers, you made my day ;)
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

konzee wrote: I'm assuming its a perfect amount of attack and threshold and ratio.
I am coming from logic so a screen shot of logic's default compressor with this patch applied would be absolutely perfect and ideal, but any explanation would be much appreciated as well.
As with anything in music production there's no magic numbers, it depends on the sounds. The ratio, threshold and attack depend entirely on what you're feeding into the compressor, it's all relative to the input. A peaky kick at -12dB will need different threshold and attack to a big 808 kick coming in at -3dB, and the release depends on the speed of the track.

I'm off to the pub now, might try to give a better answer later... try experimenting or even trying a different compressor if you've really tried everything on Logic's.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I just thought of something. Say you want to sidechain the kick to the bassline, why not draw the automation of the bass's volume to go with the kick. Assuming the kick is predictable that is. I used to do this at one point to simulate a side chaining effect.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

if your sidechain sounds weird it's probably because the routing can cause latency in the daw so the timing will be off. ever noticed how ableton doesn't let you freeze the sidechain tracks? that's the reason
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

NoAffiliation wrote:if your sidechain sounds weird it's probably because the routing can cause latency in the daw so the timing will be off. ever noticed how ableton doesn't let you freeze the sidechain tracks? that's the reason
yes... to minimize this problem it's best to record the sidechain input and adjust it to play a few ms earlier. 3rd party plugins generate much more latency and phasing issues than the ableton ones btw.