making kicks

- ask away
Post Reply
User avatar
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:19 am
Location: Pittsburgh, US
Contact:

Re: making kicks

Post by Phase Ghost » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Lately, for the oscillator wave I've been using a half tri / half sine. Basically I'm sending a tri into a wave shaper that's shapes it into a sine, but I'm only shaping it 50%. I don't have any good reason for doing this and I don't know how much it actually differs from the plain sine I usually use. (*)

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: making kicks

Post by AK » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I've never really delved that deep into Operator before but I'm just realising how versatile it is. I can't quite nail a totally satisfying kick ( same on my MD ) but it's a great thing for percussive noises all the same.

User avatar
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:41 am

Re: making kicks

Post by Stomper » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:06 pm

AK wrote:I hate sidechaining because i think I'm not addressing mix issues but I know people who swear by it, I have tried tons of stuff come to think about it. I remember once when I had a bass pattern that landed on a kick here and there and I actually cut the bass notes out, made a new audio file and applied a HP filter to those notes alone. It worked because the kick was providing the weight on those specific notes and even though I'd took those bass notes low end out of them, the tone was still there and it solved the issue. Longwinded but I guess it takes allsorts.
i find that funny because you hate sidechain but than you describe a manual sidechain.
i know you meant you hate sidechaining a compressor. but the way you said it and than desribed what you did, i was like wtf :)
i did read once an interview with infected mushroom where they said they hate compressor too so they used reaktor to make a hp filter with sidechain input.

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: making kicks

Post by AK » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Stomper wrote:
AK wrote:I hate sidechaining because i think I'm not addressing mix issues but I know people who swear by it, I have tried tons of stuff come to think about it. I remember once when I had a bass pattern that landed on a kick here and there and I actually cut the bass notes out, made a new audio file and applied a HP filter to those notes alone. It worked because the kick was providing the weight on those specific notes and even though I'd took those bass notes low end out of them, the tone was still there and it solved the issue. Longwinded but I guess it takes allsorts.
i find that funny because you hate sidechain but than you describe a manual sidechain.
i know you meant you hate sidechaining a compressor. but the way you said it and than desribed what you did, i was like wtf :)
i did read once an interview with infected mushroom where they said they hate compressor too so they used reaktor to make a hp filter with sidechain input.
yeah, i think I posted afterwards about how it sounds quite contradictory. I wouldn't say that was anything but audio editing though and it was just a one-off thing as a workaround. I find it strange when you say that you don't use sidechaining and people go, 'huh, what?' Like there's nothing else in the same ballpark. I dunno, never found that much use for it. I don't think it suits what I'm into as well.

User avatar
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3822
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:05 am
Location: Hertfordshire
Contact:

Re: making kicks

Post by tone-def » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:16 pm

AK wrote:
Stomper wrote:
AK wrote:I hate sidechaining because i think I'm not addressing mix issues but I know people who swear by it, I have tried tons of stuff come to think about it. I remember once when I had a bass pattern that landed on a kick here and there and I actually cut the bass notes out, made a new audio file and applied a HP filter to those notes alone. It worked because the kick was providing the weight on those specific notes and even though I'd took those bass notes low end out of them, the tone was still there and it solved the issue. Longwinded but I guess it takes allsorts.
i find that funny because you hate sidechain but than you describe a manual sidechain.
i know you meant you hate sidechaining a compressor. but the way you said it and than desribed what you did, i was like wtf :)
i did read once an interview with infected mushroom where they said they hate compressor too so they used reaktor to make a hp filter with sidechain input.
yeah, i think I posted afterwards about how it sounds quite contradictory. I wouldn't say that was anything but audio editing though and it was just a one-off thing as a workaround. I find it strange when you say that you don't use sidechaining and people go, 'huh, what?' Like there's nothing else in the same ballpark. I dunno, never found that much use for it. I don't think it suits what I'm into as well.
if it's done properly you can't hear it. it just makes your tracks a couple of dB louder. you can work around it by not having the kick and bass play at the same time but i find that limiting.

User avatar
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:41 am

Re: making kicks

Post by Stomper » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 pm

tbh i rarely feel like i need to sidechain anything to make it sit in the mix well.
i use sidechain on drum/percussion to get a bit of pumping effect. but thats about it.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: making kicks

Post by steevio » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:58 pm

tone-def wrote:
AK wrote:
Stomper wrote:
AK wrote:I hate sidechaining because i think I'm not addressing mix issues but I know people who swear by it, I have tried tons of stuff come to think about it. I remember once when I had a bass pattern that landed on a kick here and there and I actually cut the bass notes out, made a new audio file and applied a HP filter to those notes alone. It worked because the kick was providing the weight on those specific notes and even though I'd took those bass notes low end out of them, the tone was still there and it solved the issue. Longwinded but I guess it takes allsorts.
i find that funny because you hate sidechain but than you describe a manual sidechain.
i know you meant you hate sidechaining a compressor. but the way you said it and than desribed what you did, i was like wtf :)
i did read once an interview with infected mushroom where they said they hate compressor too so they used reaktor to make a hp filter with sidechain input.
yeah, i think I posted afterwards about how it sounds quite contradictory. I wouldn't say that was anything but audio editing though and it was just a one-off thing as a workaround. I find it strange when you say that you don't use sidechaining and people go, 'huh, what?' Like there's nothing else in the same ballpark. I dunno, never found that much use for it. I don't think it suits what I'm into as well.
if it's done properly you can't hear it. it just makes your tracks a couple of dB louder. you can work around it by not having the kick and bass play at the same time but i find that limiting.
its just an effect, you either like it or you dont, personally i never use it, its no big deal.
i'm not interested in those couple of dB tbh. ok it might sell a few more mp3s on Beatport, but............

kick and bass .... its only limiting if you let it be, we limit ourselves all the time, you wouldnt use a hoover sound, psy trance kick, probably wouldnt use a D&B snare pattern, etc etc.
personally i get alot of satisfaction out of deliberately setting limits on how the patterning of a track works, like for instance deliberately not having any sound on the offbeat, so that the silence is part of the rhythm, or no backbeat percussion etc. and i like to work in a limited way for long periods even years, to see what i can come up with, and try to get something thats different from the norm.
i've only been working with no kick and bass together for a year or so, but i like the grooves i'm coming up with, theyre different from what i was getting before, but it doesnt mean i wont abandon that method in the future.

kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: making kicks

Post by kdgh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 pm

what happened with the nice old fashion EQ?
just cut the bass on the kick's sweet spot and boost a bit on the sweetspot of the kick.
Works fine here!

Tho i also still love sidechain the volume, but sometimes i sidechain the hp filter of the bass so it won't suck into the kick if i don't want that effect.

Post Reply