making kicks

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: making kicks

Post by AK »

Misread. 'Studied' for studio. ( although I see not much difference )
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:You studied sound engineering? fair play! I studied art/art history and graphic design. Man, I didn't realise back then that music was gonna be my art love though.
i studied architecture at university, i was taught sound engineering by the various excellent sound engineers i worked with in the recording studio i used to run, and then went on to do live engineering for bands.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

A bit oftopic now but man are there alot of producers with a background in art/form/design, Theo Parrish and Radio Slave to mention two of the big ones. Makes me think i chose the wrong education should have gone for graphics instead of sound :P
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

JonasEdenbrandt wrote:A bit oftopic now but man are there alot of producers with a background in art/form/design, Theo Parrish and Radio Slave to mention two of the big ones. Makes me think i chose the wrong education should have gone for graphics instead of sound :P
Hey jonas... as a visual designer I can tell you the work and process is very very much the same. You are dealing with time and space. The only difference is the frequencies things resonate at and how they affect your senses.

What i do like from knowing both. You can draw parallels between the two... it gives a sense of perspective.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I have played with the following idea. Get the steady sub in tune. It should be a steady sine.
Maybe with harmonics above, but steady pitch-wise. The 909 is. Adjust it's length. Figure out what kind of a volume enevelope you want it to have. Maxed out all the way through, fading linearly, concave whatever. Depends on the context and the amount of true sub you want that kick to have. Get straight to the facts. No compression yadda - yadda is going to be better than
getting it right in an audio editor or whatever. Choose what some call the character or punch or whatever part which will be in the (low) midrange. Adjust that in context.
One of the most,if not the most important part will be the click. The +1K portion.
You could have sub + punch part in line and just cycle through kicks that have a highpass going at 1 K. Do this in a mix context and fitting attacks should just come along whilst cycling through loads a kicks. Can't be arsed to write any more but this should help some peeps. You could also just lowpass the 909 of choice at 1k and have another channel highpassed at 1 K in which you cycle through kick folders. Might need some volume adjustment on the +1K part but you WILL find a suitable attack, that's guaranteed.