fatten up bassline plugin

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: fatten up bassline plugin

Post by lem »

sorry about the personal bit, i think i got mixed up with something else. apologies

I'm really not out to start a pointless arguement. I do really respect your opinion and the knowlege that you share.

I'm also not going to continue this, i really didnt set out to upset anyone.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

I see what you mean. Its all my fault.

OP - buy a SH101.

Don't try making chords or listening to anyone else than AK, as he is right about everything 8)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Oh grow up ffs. At least I'm trying to explain why I disagreed with you with a bit of logic and music, all you are doing is trying to create an argument. I have laid out scenarios and tried to explain why this doesn't work. Go and read up on it yourself if you think its just my opinion.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:sorry about the personal bit, i think i got mixed up with something else. apologies

I'm really not out to start a pointless arguement. I do really respect your opinion and the knowlege that you share.

I'm also not going to continue this, i really didnt set out to upset anyone.
Me too, I don't come here to argue, I come here to learn just like everyone else. can't be helped sometimes though I guess....
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

ICN wrote:I see what you mean. Its all my fault.

OP - buy a SH101.

Don't try making chords or listening to anyone else than AK, as he is right about everything 8)
You sound like a sour twat.

AK is right, if you're not retarded or deaf you could hear what he is talking about and figure it out for yourself.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

A sour twat - now theres a mental image :lol:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i feel like posting some clips of bass chords to show how fucking stupid an argument it is. it doesn't work!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

michaellpenman wrote:
AK wrote:
lem wrote:Now you are just getting a bit personal about it mate.

I'm really not trying to argue with you, i reakon you know heaps more than me about music theory. I'm pretty sure I have seen pianist hit more than one note on the lowest octave.

I dont quite understand what the difference is between 2 oscillators detuned and 2 oscillators played as 2 notes. but I guess im just a numpty....
I really don't know what you're on about with the personal thing but I'm not going to get dragged into an argument, you'll just have to find someone else if that's what you're after. You asked me a question and I answered in a perfectly civil manner. I'm confused about that.

Yeah Pianos are often used in low registers but they aren't bass instruments. Typically, when you play piano two handed, the lower you go, the further apart your chord tones tend to be. It's for exactly the same reason as I was saying before. Look, I'm done with this. Just have a look around on the net because it seems you are just not accepting it either out of ignorance or just to be argumentative or something. Ask somebody else and you'll get the same answer...

I've had enough.
anything played in the bass freq/ registor is a bass insturment

A Piano is a chordal instrument, just because it has a capacity to go down to A0, doesn't mean it's a 'bass instrument'. That's not its primary function. It can get used as such, esp. in piano solos or film music but you wont usually find low frequency chords in any other capacity besides effect, certainly not for bass. Atonal and horror soundtracks will frequently use low chords for their sense of dissonance and unsettling effect but this is not the type of application we're referring to here. That was simply about making chords with bass tones to 'thicken them up'.

If you play a keyboard instrument, you'll know that the tendency is to use the lower notes to support the upper chord structure. If I played an Am chord, a typical voicing would be a low 'A' and another 'A' an 8ve higher in the left hand and an 'E/A/C' in the right. Cluster voicings tend to occur further up the audio spectrum due to human perception. Like if you played an Emadd9 chord and voiced it in the same 8ve, like this: E/F#/G/B, the lower you go, the more difficult it will be to perceive tonality. The 1/2 step difference between the F# and the G becomes a sonic mess the lower you go, and go into bass territory, the whole thing ends up being a mess.

This doesn't mean I'm anti experimental, it's just the nature of reality and the human hearing range. The point above about those chords is that it's a clear indication of what happens with cluster tones in low registers and how they get perceived. It's not my 'opinion', it's just blatant fact.