Launchpad help

- ask away
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Launchpad help

Post by kdgh »

Dear mnml users,

I'm working on my liveset in ableton and i'm trying to make a stepsequencer in my launchpad (user1 bank).
Worked out well and it's pretty flawless though i would love to have a metronome LED feedback.

I tried to use the the tricks that are online on youtube. midi route a midi clip to the launchpad, search the notes on the pianoroll and sequence them in your own order. Though when i do this, the session view gets pretty messy. The notes that are used as metronome in user1 are the same in session view probably.

Now i hooked up the lowest horizontal row of the launchpad to 8 clips with a launch following command. It's okay though when you're using the scene triggers the metronome starts at a different point.

Has anybody an idea of how to solve or work around this problem?

Cheers,
kdgh
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Launchpad help

Post by lem »

If you go the 'midi route a clip to Lpad' route, can you set the 'session' button to mute that midi track?

I remember having all this when I first got the launchpad.
Buttons on the launchpad send out the same midi note regardless of mode e.g session, user etc...
Its actually Ableton API that adresses different combinations of note data.

I love the launchpad but it takes an age to set everything up.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

Wait.. what?

Don't really know what you're talking about now with the midi route thingie.
Can you explain to me step by step?

The launchpad is a pain in the ass to program, but damn it's a monster tool when everything works!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Didn't you mention it?
Im sure I watched a tutorial on how to display a metronome on the launchpad on Youtube.
I never had any need for it as I didn't want a metronome display.

Anyway,

How do you mean 'session view gets pretty messy.' as you say on the original post?

If you mean some of the LED's 'hang up' or stay on when you change to session view, then you can stop this by muting the midi output to the launchpad. This output, if its on a midi track, can be muted and will stop sending data to the launchpad.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

Ok this is the chain.
If i use C3, C#3, D3, D#3 in the pianorol as metronome the notes also show up in the session view instead of ONLY the user1 view.

That's my biggest problem. I tried to change the midi channel of the user1 user2 en session view, but that doesn't seem possible.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

if u deactivate the midi out track does the problem go away?

now try setting a midi controller to deactivate that track...
it should stop sending midi to the launchpad, so the metronome wont show up, but it will continue running so it stays in sync. Then when you change to session view the lights wont interfere.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

Deactivate as in midi monitor off or.. ?

How can i deactivate the "track". Not really clear what track you mean, sorry!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

The big yellow '13' on your midi track