key matches

- ask away
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: key matches

Post by Barfunkel »

oblioblioblio wrote: By the time you speed something up the key is surely changed anyway.
Yeah, it's especially complicated with vinyl or cd. You have to take the pitch slider's position into account. Software can at least timestretch, so it's always in the original key.
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

If you speed it up/down by 5.6% it is one semitone. I used to play records around the 125bpm rate, so if you need to speed it up/down by ~3bpm then you just key match it with the next key. And yes, it is much easier with digital djing.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Forgive me if this has been covered ( and I'm not a DJ ) But speeding up/slowing down of records to a point where it potentially wouldn't be A=440hz, how does this work when talking about harmonic mixing?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

there is a system, if you pitch +3 % then its another key, you can determine which key with a chart or just memorize it
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Barfunkel wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote: By the time you speed something up the key is surely changed anyway.
Yeah, it's especially complicated with vinyl or cd. You have to take the pitch slider's position into account. Software can at least timestretch, so it's always in the original key.
but when you time stretch you lose punch.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
also the groove doesnt necessarily work at different tempos, shuffles are quite tempo specific, you can use much bigger swings on slower material, so its always best to play the track at the tempo it was intended, or near enough.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

http://blog.dubspot.com/dubspot-lab-rep ... -beatport/

i noticed some of the wrong ones on the list myself when trying to play along with them on the synth in whatever key it said. it really made me curious because on that list the tracks i like or have listened to on my own time are the wrongly reported ones. something i need to look into more to learn about my ear. with that said i never had a harmonic problem mixing records because all the tracks i like the sound of seem to just work together in almost any order, need to investigate further into this.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

tone-def wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
Yeah, timestretching/key correction/whatever you want to call it ruins the sound too much for me to use it when DJing. I'd rather have my mix a tiny bit off-key if it comes to it. Again it's just a case of listening and seeing if it sounds good or not...