key matches

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

key matches

Post by steevio »

here's in interesting one, (well to me anyway)

i was just checking which stores had my new release and i noticed that an online vinyl shop had this 'key matches' feature;

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/se ... =1&track=1

(honestly this is not me trying to plug my release)

i've often thought about putting BPM / Key information on my vinyl releases, i'd even thought about putting polyrhythmic info / time signature info on there too, but there's not much stuff out there with unusual timesignatures etc.

Its definitely something worth thinking about when you're writing tracks if they are intended for vinyl, maybe checking what keys / tempos other people are using.
even if you arent going to vinyl, its better that tracks arent being warped in software.
in my case its wrong anyway because the tunes were clocked by a 909, so 126 isnt 126 at all, its between 126 and 127, so my tracks will only be in key with a track that was also clocked or sequenced by a 909.
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: key matches

Post by djd_oz »

well, they just put it through mixed in key and the results are mostly incorrect
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

djd_oz wrote:well, they just put it through mixed in key and the results are mostly incorrect
which is what i was saying above.

but most people use accurate BPM settings, as most people these days dont sequence with a 909
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

key mixing is da bomb! when i used to dj and buying vinyl, i wished everyone would put the key and bpm on the records instead of me having to figure it out.
Last edited by djd_oz on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I just mix by ear. Using some chart to determine which track goes with which sounds just a bit weird to me. Or maybe I just don't understand what's it all about?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i mix by ear too, but i dont see a problem with having that information available to you, especially if you have a lot of records in your box and you dont plan your mixes.
most of the best DJs i know just pick records out of their boxes and improvise their mixes.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

What the hell is 'Key 7A'?

[edit] Never mind, I just saw that wheel thing at the bottom
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

if you've ever wondered why some records sound better when mix together compared to others than key mixing is the key (pardon the pun). For techno where it is heavily drums orientated, it doenn't make a lot of difference, however for highly melodic tracks, it does and if you want to mix forever and not just outros with intros or 3 decks or mashups than it's the way to go. The downside is you need to spend time determining the key for each record.