Your "studio"

- ask away
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Your "studio"

Post by luco »

:| is it me or do my posts keep getting deleted? (-)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

luco wrote::| is it me or do my posts keep getting deleted? (-)
its you and your fat kicks dude. can't wait for our colab!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

hydrogen wrote:
luco wrote::| is it me or do my posts keep getting deleted? (-)
its you and your fat kicks dude. can't wait for our colab!

wat do u mean?
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

My apartment hunting has progressed and it looks like it's between one of two places, one of which is in a charming old (1900s) building with high ceilings and all the rest, spacious but no spare room as such, and the other is a more down-to-earth modern place but it's got a spare bedroom that I'm sure would make a nice studio, both same price.

Not asking you guys to make major life-decisions for me or anything but would you take the one with the extra room? :P
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I reckon you oughta get the extra room.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

How big is this extra room?

If it were me... i'd probably take the 1 room... put my studio in there and live on a couch futon in the living room. The futon would probably stay down most of the time, unless there are guests over. its important for me to have a more private space for all the gear if people come over. but the gear is highest priority. :D

biggest thing of all... if you are doing music at home... check out the neighboring walls and think about how your sound will travel through the walls and not disturb your neighbor. if its a more modern place get the layouts of neighboring apartments or figure out where the bedrooms are... don't tell the landlord that your gonna do sound in there... but you can just say it bothers me when i can hear other apartments having sex, listening to music, or walking around. cause that sh!t affects your recording too, outside sound is very invasive for me and breaks all my concentration.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

that`s my (shared) space >

We had been looking for ages for an adequate space, finally we found this place. It`s located in a nomansland on a former military base, they used to store ammunition and such nonsense there ;) pretty quite there, we are surrounded by forests and (blooming) fields, no neighbors, just a lot of huge rabbits around everywhere.

I have to drive about 20min. by car, but it`s better then mixing in my attic flat where I don`t have straight walls and no quiet moments.

This used to be a 60m2 room, we`ve build walls so we have a control room and a recording room and a little lobby. All floors and acoustic treatments are also made by us.

Here`s a view from outside, the building on the left corner is our studio >

Can get pretty creepy there in autumn when you can't see your feet because of the fog (*)
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

hydrogen wrote:How big is this extra room?

If it were me... i'd probably take the 1 room... put my studio in there and live on a couch futon in the living room. The futon would probably stay down most of the time, unless there are guests over. its important for me to have a more private space for all the gear if people come over. but the gear is highest priority. :D
That's an interesting idea, hadn't thought of it! Not very "proper" but that wouldn't really bother me, I'd been planning to get a futon anyway for if anyone stays and it's not like I'd have friends round every night. In my current place I have my production and DJ gear in the living room and my bedroom used for its intended purpose (it's a furnished rented flat so not much point in doing otherwise) and I agree it would be great to have a more private space for the music stuff. The new place will be owned by me and my parents though, with just me living there, so it'll be much more flexible.

The 2-bed's room sizes are 10'5" x 9'5" (3.18m x 2.87m) and 9' x 9'5" (2.74m x 2.87m), I'd probably sleep in the smaller one, more space for gear in the master one of course and it's a bit less square, we all know the curse of square shaped rooms for acoustics...

On the other hand the trad 1-bed place's bedroom is more rectangular, 15'6" x 9'1" (4.7m x 2.7m), at a push there's even enough room for a decent bed plus gear although that could get tight if I end up getting a big mixing desk or something. As far as I know the bedroom wall at the neighbour's side has been put in relatively recently, long after the building was built anyway (pretty common around here, the city's full of big rows of 3-5 storey Victorian stone blocks a lot of which have been modified internally to divide into more flats) so there might be noise issues, my current place certainly has that problem where the division's been made in what's now the two living rooms and the wall's so thin I can hear my neighbour cough!

Thanks for the input, I'm crap at making decisions so it's good to hear from other people who also see their music as such an important thing to consider! It's all first-world problems at the end of the day, I realise I'm luckier than a lot of people in having this choice...

optX: that is a pretty cool place!