Post by Hades »

AK wrote:
kdgh wrote:Minibrute
Sh101
Dark Energy
Crumar Spirit (maybe bit too big)
Siel Mono (maybe also a bit too big)
CS-01
Dave Smith Evolver (maybe bit too much menu stuff)
Technosaurus Microcon I / II
the 101 can be wicked for melodic purposes, and it fits the criteria. The OP said, bass and melodic lines - well, melody and bass usually ( not always ) are monophonic. Raw, hands on, etc. Great tone - ( you don't get horrible sound at the top end with analogue, it's still a pure tone.)

I'm only just realising how versatile my 101 is, I was musically inexperienced when I had one the first time around, it's a simple synth but man, it's so hard to get a bad sound out of it.
I can't 2nd that enough.
I can't believe I only recently got myself an SH-101.
It's definitely one of the best synths I ever had.
It sounds so great, and like AK said : it's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of it.
It lives and breathes techno.
All you gotta do is get a CV/gate controller and run it through some FX unit and you're in techno heaven.
And the lack of patch storage is a no brainer since the options are so limited you'll never be puzzled for a long time how you came up with a previous sound.
I paid 600 euro's for mine, and honestly, it's worth a hell of a lot more if you ask me.
Snatch one while you still can.
I know I want to get a 2nd one at some point. :lol:
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: looking for a new synth

Post by Rein »

ok... so i've decided to go with the sh-101! now i need a midi to cv converter... is it possible to do this in the box with a vst or do i need one of those converter boxes? any good (and cheap if possible) ones around? saw a few second hand doepfers, is this what i need?

o, btw, a midi thru would be nice... i only have one midi out on my sound card, and the easiest way would be to get one midi out (midi from ableton) to both my vermona drm1 and one to the cv-gate for the roland.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Did I read you had a Machinedrum? If so, you can use an impulse to a separate out on the MD to clock the 101's sequencer. That will allow you to program riffs in the 101 and have it sync up without the need for a converter. Something to get by with in the meantime anyway.

You could still do this ITB too, you'd need a spare output and have a sample of the impulse routed out in the same way.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Rein wrote: o, btw, a midi thru would be nice... i only have one midi out on my sound card, and the easiest way would be to get one midi out (midi from ableton) to both my vermona drm1 and one to the cv-gate for the roland.
Kenton's stuff is meant to be good for that, there's definitely people here who'll know more than me though. Lots of folks here with SH-101s, starting to get a bit envious ;)
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

AK wrote:Did I read you had a Machinedrum? If so, you can use an impulse to a separate out on the MD to clock the 101's sequencer. That will allow you to program riffs in the 101 and have it sync up without the need for a converter. Something to get by with in the meantime anyway.

You could still do this ITB too, you'd need a spare output and have a sample of the impulse routed out in the same way.
ok cool! no machine drum here atm, but this will definitely get me running, thanks
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

simonb wrote:
Rein wrote: o, btw, a midi thru would be nice... i only have one midi out on my sound card, and the easiest way would be to get one midi out (midi from ableton) to both my vermona drm1 and one to the cv-gate for the roland.
Kenton's stuff is meant to be good for that, there's definitely people here who'll know more than me though. Lots of folks here with SH-101s, starting to get a bit envious ;)
i'll look the machines up, thanks for the advice
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Rein wrote:
AK wrote:Did I read you had a Machinedrum? If so, you can use an impulse to a separate out on the MD to clock the 101's sequencer. That will allow you to program riffs in the 101 and have it sync up without the need for a converter. Something to get by with in the meantime anyway.

ok cool! no machine drum here atm, but this will definitely get me running, thanks
There's probably a fair few ways to do it. Might be worth bookmarking this page if you are gonna get one: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=65
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I got a kenton USB solo (that arrived here last week) to control my SH101.
It couldn't have been easier, just connect 2 small mono jack cables from the kenton to the SH101 and you're set to go.
Then send MIDI from your DAW to the Kenton via its USB.

There's no way to send MIDI through with the Kenton, as far as I know.
It's specifically designed to control one synth only.
But in all honesty, it arrived last week, and I'm doing a series of nightshifts now, so I didn't have the time yet to get through the small manual that came with it.
I think there are other Kenton models that are designed to control more than one synth though.
The Pro-2000 looks like one, but it's pricey enough.