electric piano

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

electric piano

Post by steevio »

ok probably the wrong place for this, but here it is anyway;

its been bugging me for a while, i swear that i read somewhere that in some electric pianos the sound was created by each key playing two notes, a fundamental and another harmonic 22.5 semitones above it.

ive searched forever and cant find this anywhere on the web, but i have a clear memory of reading this,

does anyone know anything about this ?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: electric piano

Post by AK »

That's interesting, can't offer any info or anything but I like to use EP type stuff now and then and have tried to synthesize sounds along that theme. When I say interesting it's because I never think to include an oscillator tuned to something like that, which in that case is halfway between a minor 7th and a major 7th an octave higher! That's something I wouldn't even think about trying with standard playable instrument sounds. I wonder where, if that's the case, this actually came about as a method of tuning for that?

That said, some of the EP stuff I have, both samples and synthesized ( Lounge Lizard ) do contain a lot of inharmonic material which makes it seriously hard for me to try and get that bit of edge into my own EP sounds so I have usually gone for FM on subtractive synths with 'not-so-realistic-but-in-a-good-way' results.

But yeah, no idea on that myself, is this something you have been experimenting with?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i just analyzed a note from an electric piano sample and it was made up of these frequencies.

130Hz, 261Hz, 391Hz, 519Hz, 655Hz
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tone-def wrote:i just analyzed a note from an electric piano sample and it was made up of these frequencies.

C-C-G-C-E ^^^^^^ How did you analyze the sound? I'm after something like that!

Apart from a few cents detuning, those frequencies would seem pretty common, esp in the harmonic series but I don't know what EP sound you played. I guess they all vary to some degree. If your root note was 'C' like your 130hz, from what steevio read, there would be a frequency about 483hz - somewhere between A# & B. Although unless the first oscillator type was a sine, I guess there would be other frequencies showing up before then?

It's the pitching of that 2nd oscillator type that got me thinking because I I don't think I have ever bothered to try and tune one to something that would inherently, be that far out of pitch for a playable instrument except for FM'ing a first oscillator or for effect.

I don't know anything about this but I wouldn't have thought about trying things like this out had I not read it.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:ok probably the wrong place for this, but here it is anyway;

its been bugging me for a while, i swear that i read somewhere that in some electric pianos the sound was created by each key playing two notes, a fundamental and another harmonic 22.5 semitones above it.

ive searched forever and cant find this anywhere on the web, but i have a clear memory of reading this,

does anyone know anything about this ?
In a piano one note hits several strings, so could an electric piano be the same?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
tone-def wrote:i just analyzed a note from an electric piano sample and it was made up of these frequencies.

bro did you not download that oscilloscope / analyser i posted a while ago ?

i wish i could remember where i read that. you'd think something would show up in a search.

@tone, i dont think a sample is going do it, because there's so many different types of electric piano, i think it might have been an electro/mechanical piano.

i just tried it with my Moog with two triangle waves, and its sounds ok, ( not particularly e-piano like ) butcertainly not dischordant, however its certainly not a harmonic relationship

it sounded more ep like at 21.5 semitones, which is a harmonic (13th) sheeeit wonder if it was 21.5 ??
Last edited by steevio on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

AK wrote:

Apart from a few cents detuning, those frequencies would seem pretty common, esp in the harmonic series but I don't know what EP sound you played. I guess they all vary to some degree. If your root note was 'C' like your 130hz, from what steevio read, there would be a frequency about 483hz - somewhere between A# & B. Although unless the first oscillator type was a sine, I guess there would be other frequencies showing up before then?

It's the pitching of that 2nd oscillator type that got me thinking because I I don't think I have ever bothered to try and tune one to something that would inherently, be that far out of pitch for a playable instrument except for FM'ing a first oscillator or for effect.

I don't know anything about this but I wouldn't have thought about trying things like this out had I not read it.
Melda MAnalyser it's a free VST.

http://www.meldaproduction.com/freevstp ... alyzer.php

i might have a look at another sample. i used the EVP88 in logic, which is unmistakably an electric piano but different to a rhodes. it's somewhere between a rhodes and 80's digital piano.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

found it, it was 21.5 semitones, and it was in this SoS article on the Andromeda ;

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr01/a ... alesis.asp

and refers to Roland electric pianos

Just use the programming principles of the classic Roland electric piano (oscillators sync'ed 21.5 semitones apart, with appropriate filter and envelope settings) and you'll hear what the JXs were trying to produce