Synthesizing shakers.

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Synthesizing shakers.

Post by AK »

I'm realising this is a lot harder than it first seems, at least when trying to get a little more realistic ( but in a synthetic way ) The problem is in the 'rattly bits' where it almost sounds like more than 1 sound. It's easy enough just doing the simple filtered and enveloped noise but I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas on how to get more realism?

There was a simliar kind of technique I was thinking about working with when you might synthesize a handclap and use an LFO set to a saw wave to modulate the filter cut off really quickly. - And the problem with that can be found when you only want that modulation to occur at the intro of the sound ( like a TR-808 clap ) so it sounds like many hands clapping together and then extends into the decay. I'm looking to apply a similar thing but try and reverse the LFO so that the initital sound is softer but a rattle effect comes in very gently along the tail end of the shaker.

Well, this was the idea I had in my head about how to go about it but it's proving a bit difficult with getting an LFO to do that and to even have it cycle fast enough so if anyone has some other ideas I'd be happy to hear about them.. 8)
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Synthesizing shakers.

Post by Rein »

try a super low saw wave, and put some resonance on the filter... gives you nice pops to layer with the noise... some lfo on it an you can make nice rhythmic layers out of it!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

white noise is fine for soft shakers, but if you want more grittiness then PW modulated and FM'd skinny pulses are the way to go for me..... and a combination of both can give more realness
the secret with most of these things is dont use a sawtooth wave, they are too regular.

start with a very low frequency pulsewave, (well below audio rate) adjust the pulse width till its almost as skinny as it can go but not quite, so now you've got effectively a repeating click, then modulate the pulse width very slightly with an LFO, this adds texture and movement, then frequency modulate it with another oscillator and take it up to audio rate.
mess around with the frequencies of both oscillators keeping the first very low and the second one higher till you get the tone you want.
next put it through a band pass filter set quite high with a bit of resonance on, and modulate the volume with two envelopes with a slowish attack and decay on each, space out the envelopes to get the shuffle of the shakers you want, and move them around till they sit right with the track.

edit;; Rein posted at the same time and my advice conflicts with his (ie sawtooth) but effectively we are saying the same thing - use very low frequency waves, i just prefer pulses thats all.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Ah, just trying this out. I started with the Pulse wave, I've set that to the lowest 8ve and just experimenting with what note to trigger it from. Obviously, the lower I go, the slower the 'clicks' of the pulse. Where to begin here in terms of furthering the sound? trigger it to low and it just sounds like a 200bpm click in 4/4, too high and it starts become a noticeable pitch.

I'm using an LFO to modulate the pulse width here, any preference for the LFO's waveform, clock speed/ etc? I've only used a smidge of LFO so there's not a huge amount of PWM going on yet. Not used to this synth so I'm just having a look how to go about FM modding it with another oscillator.

I have access to a mod matrix on this, are we talking about simply using osc 2 as a modulation source? If so, to modulate what on osc 1? This kinda thing varies and I have a few options here but want to try and see what the result is so interested in trying this as accurately as poss.

[Edit] Just found the parameter in the mod matrix. Added a 2nd osc and chose it as the source and sent it to mod osc1 Frequency FM. Different effects from different waveforms and 8ve settings and obviously what note I'm triggering the patch on so far.

Took the osc1 up to audio rate by increasing the 8ve and now have something going on like a shaker. Not set filters or envelopes yet so this is almost having a pattern of its own. Cool though.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Cool, tweaked a few things from the suggestions above to arrive at some cool stuff. Used 2 LFO's with varying intensity and clock speeds. 1 at 1/16 and the other at 1/8t for swing and have a 1 finger shaker pattern now which responds a little to velocity in terms of texture.

No more school, it's saturday! :lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

cool, its all just about experimentation really, because every synth is different you'll get different effects from the same techniques, but what both Rein and i were saying is a good basic starting point.

by modulating the PW in different ways you are increasing the texture possibilities, you can even try layering a few different oscillators with slightly different pitches for more texture and density.

i use shaker / bell shaker /tambourine type sounds in most of my tracks, and they were all made this way, a greater percentage of white noise will give you more shakerishness, and less will give you grittier /bell shaker like sounds