New Studio Build

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:37 am
Location: Belgium

Re: New Studio Build

Post by Hades » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 am

markos wrote: Yeah I understand what you mean and you are correct. I just haven't run into any problems with my methods yet but who know's, this whole synth thing could throw me off guard......lol Anyway like i said wasn't trying to be rude or anything and I have taken a lot of your points into consideration. :)
well, you did right there :
markos wrote: I am sorry but this is going to sound a bit rude and I don't mean to be at all, but it seems to me that you are a very closed minded individual.
you are assuming I am a closed minded individual because I try to give you advice that might not be what you want to hear.
By all means, all I say is just another opinion from a guy on the net, so take it with a Dead Sea of salt, but don't call me a close-minded indvidual. -urk
markos wrote: There are a lot of factors that come into play in starting your own business and the success of your business is only possible on the amount of work and dedication that you choose to put into it. I am not saying that you are not dedicated to your craft as it sounds to me that you are a very bright individual but to simply say "be careful" and "the market is saturated" are not very valid reasons imo.
this was all I was trying to say :
I have the impression the offer is getting way bigger than the demand, and it's not getting any better.
It's like the DJ-world. Everyone's a DJ (or so they say) nowadays, and it's getting harder and harder for proper beginning DJ's to even get a few gigs here and there.
In DJ country this isn't exactly new, it's an evloution that has been going on for years.
And from what I've seen in the "tutorial-stuff-world" (for lack of a better word let's call it that for the time being), it's heading that way too.
Look around on the net : there are way too many people having blogs about their musical adventures, and basically, 90% of them have very little to nothing interesting to say nor know what they're talking about. I've come across sites that have people making video's about some small pieces of gear as if they are the most experienced reviewers, and basically, they were into this for a couple of months. What's the point in all that ?
To each his own, but I don't find that a good result of the more democratic availability of musical equipment.
I know it's an evolution that is perfectly logical, but I still don't like it.
And 5 years ago, there were only a few books available on the internet about music production, now there are so many it's impossible for a newbie to know which ones are good. And unfortunately, most contain pretty much the same general stuff. That's what I mean when I'm talking about a market getting slowly saturated.

The succes of a business is only possible on the amount of work and dedication that you choose to put into it, you say ?
Well obviously, you need to put an effort into it, as with everything in life.
But not everything in life can work by just having a good idea and putting in a lot of hard work.
Sometimes there are factors you simply can't control.
I don't know if you happen to know many self-employed people in your life, but I've gotten to know quite a few in the last 10 years, and I've seen perfectly good working businesses, run by very hard working people go great for years, and running slowly bankrupt some years later, all because of external factors they couldn't control.

All I did was try to say : mate, it's world-wide economical crisis, and you mentioned you don't have a job.
I think you might want to think twice before you want to spend so much cash.
markos wrote: its all perception and product placement. If you don't place your product in the right stores and market it to the right people, then of course no ones going to buy it. You would promote Kitty Litter to families with dogs would you? The schools that have full classrooms are not full because they teach the best courses in the world, they are full because of the marketing and perception of their product that tells kids "you need to be here to be a pro dj/producer." Unfortunately it is tough for us smaller folks to compete, but you just need to be creative and spend sometime giving your product consumer value. You could be the better teacher in your home studio and say your course is far more superior and cheaper then the bigger expensive school, but in their minds there thinking "ya but they are ableton certified" or "they can get my track signed to a record label". Its all perception my friend.
ok, maybe I made myself misunderstood.
First of all, I don't see my small time music teaching as a "business".
I gave the example of the music schools cause that's pretty much the only point of reference I have for music classes here, and yes, they aren't very great. And I am by all means not saying this to say "wow, look at how much better I am", but because it saddens me to see how people get ripped off like that.
It saddens me to see how a thing I take into such high respect as music and also teaching, is turned into an obvious money-making business.
Obviously they gotta make a living, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to make money, but the way I see it happening, it ain't nice.
It's just like it saddens me how so many young people are getting into making music for the wrong reasons. Not because they want to be creative, but because they think they'll get rich 'n famous in no time.
I have refused customers in the past when I felt they weren't people I wanted to have in the studio. But I've also refused customers when I felt I didn't have enough to teach them either, or cancelled a 3rd lesson if I felt I had taught them all that was important in the 2 lessons they already took.
Obviously, this is not what happen in the music schools, where they present it all as the great next "know-it-all" course, where it's mainly a money-cow.
You talk about "product" and "consumer value". I don't look at it that way.
In fact, I've always hated the word "producer" exaclty because of the connotations it has with "product" and "market-value" and blablabla.
I prefer the word "musician".
markos wrote: Again Hades, i am not trying to criticize you or insult you. I just believe we have two totally different perspectives on things. You do make some very valid points but i tend to be a person who looks at the glass half full Hope you haven't taken what i said to personally and thanks again for your comments.
I'm not insulted, but please don't call me close-minded, mate, if anything that assumption of yours shows more a close-mindedness from your side than mine.
Just like saying you're a person that tends to look at the glass half full suggests I'm someone who tends to look at the glass half empty.
It's kind of funny, but I always thought with that expression "I just see half a glass, that's all" I don't make positive or negative assumptions from that. :lol:
Yes, we obviously have different opinions on the matter.
Good for you you look at things from the bright side.
And I wish you all the best with your "music school"-project.

(apologies it took me so long to write all this but I always try to put as exactly into words what I think / how I feel about a topic, because written words can many times sound a lot harder than they were meant to be. Please see my above words : it's just another opinion from a dude on the internet) 8)

markos
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 am

Re: New Studio Build

Post by markos » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:57 am

Avoiding quoting because well, I'm just to lazy....lol

Anyways, all of your points are 100 percent valid. My apologies for calling you closed minded as this was obviously a wrongful impression of who you are. You know, I've gotten quite an insight from your views and what's funny is that I wasn't trying to offend you in anyway.

Anyway, I value your opinion mate. Now, how bout those studio picks! :)

back to the gear talk people!! Any other insight on building a hackintosh?
Last edited by markos on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markos
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 am

Re: New Studio Build

Post by markos » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:23 pm

Okay so just got back from the gear shop and checked out two soundcards. Had a chat with the tech guru there (who is also an engineer) and we discussed the differences between the Allen and Heath ZED16, as well as the Moto 828 mk3.

Both are significantly different in price but you obviously get more hands on control with the Allen & Heath mixer. I'm really not sure which way to go here. Any tips or advice between this?

markos
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 am

Re: New Studio Build

Post by markos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 pm

markos wrote:Okay so just got back from the gear shop and checked out two soundcards. Had a chat with the tech guru there (who is also an engineer) and we discussed the differences between the Allen and Heath ZED16, as well as the Moto 828 mk3.

Both are significantly different in price but you obviously get more hands on control with the Allen & Heath mixer. I'm really not sure which way to go here. Any tips or advice between this?
starting to lean towards the Motu. Seems to come with a great selection of onboard DSP effects and plug ins and I could always mix with the APC 40 within ableton.

So far looking at getting:

- iMac 27 inch quad core i7 3.4ghz with 8 gigs of ram
- maschine
- minitaur
- motu 828 mk3

THe motu has enough inputs for any further expansions and i'm sure I will never have to get another soundcard after it.

luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: New Studio Build

Post by luco » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:04 pm

just use headphones room is myth an all thet....

markos
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 am

Re: New Studio Build

Post by markos » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 am

luco wrote:just use headphones room is myth an all thet....
:D thanks for the tip luco!

this forum has been very helpful. can't wait to build this new studio!

Post Reply