Remixing?

- ask away
loulou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Remixing?

Post by loulou »

Hey

I wondered how do you guys approach making a remix of another electronic music track? Do you just chop up the original or do some of you receive the individual channels of a track or something completely different?

I just wondered cause i have never tried making one, and don't know how you normally do it!

Thanks!
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Remixing?

Post by Rein »

if someone wants you to do a remix of a track they best send you a remix pack with the sounds of the track as loops, that way you'll able to do better and more stuff than with only the track. you can always ask the composer of the track if he wants to send such a pack to you.

of course you can work with the audio file of the record, then it comes to smart editing like muting parts of the track with invert phases, or some good filtering / eq work.

look some advice on phasing stuff up on this forum if you don't know what it can do. often it's possible to remove kick, snare & hats this way in a very clean and precise way.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Rein wrote:of course you can work with the audio file of the record, then it comes to smart editing like muting parts of the track with invert phases, or some good filtering / eq work.
You can and it's good fun, as an example (and a shameless, shameless plug) I remixed a tune just using cut up, EQd, etc samples from the original plus a few bits of noise/perc cut from random drum loops (did this 3 or 4 years ago as a relative beginner - I still am in my opinion - but I'm still quite happy with it, nice groove anyway...)

http://soundcloud.com/simonbryan/way-ou ... t-me-remix

Most professional remixes will be done from individual parts/stems though.
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

My approach is everytime different..it depends a lot on the feelings that i get from the samples that i recieve.
Sometimes i recieve great stuff that i'm quite happy to work with, sometimes i find myself to build a new track by my own, adding just a piece of vocal, or a percussion, or a loop from the original mix, just to can say that is a remix.

Anyway i'm more disposed and inclined to collaborations, they let you work on stuff that somehow you feel yours..and, moreover, working with a new person that has obviously a different view from you on music and a different way of producing, can just raise your profile and, with this, you'll learn things that u would have ever known doing just a remix.