Dynaudio BM9S Sub

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Dynaudio BM9S Sub

Post by Rein »

sub can be useful to really feel the power of your tracks... some time ago i composed a track with a bass that isn't really booming on my monitors, but punched you in the chest more than any track i've done on a club system...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

how many people here have actually mixed with a sub? because a lot of the answers here are different to my personal experience. Subs are a useful mixing tool, there wouldn't be so many on the market if they made your music worse.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Rein wrote:sub can be useful to really feel the power of your tracks... some time ago i composed a track with a bass that isn't really booming on my monitors, but punched you in the chest more than any track i've done on a club system...
Even when I'm practising DJing I feel it can be hard to know how a track will sound in a club, some records sound fairly weak over normal studio monitors but then you hear them in a club and they have a great deep driving bassline that you barely notice at home. I'm thinking of getting a sub at some point for that reason, I'd probably have it on moderately most of the time when DJing and off when producing apart from the occasional check. It's a bit of a non-issue for the time being though, unless I run into some good money in the near future...

Out of curiousity, do you guys think a bassy pair of monitors like the Mackie's could help in that respect? I'll need to upgrade my monitors at some point anyway and getting a sub would only put that off for longer...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

simonb wrote:
Out of curiousity, do you guys think a bassy pair of monitors like the Mackie's could help in that respect? I'll need to upgrade my monitors at some point anyway and getting a sub would only put that off for longer...
the mackies imo are perfect for what you want. i would never buy a sub and add it to exsiting monitors, thats just me, but i think if you want to give yourself problems, then the best way to do it, is to have a sub you switch on and off or run at diffferent levels, and never know for sure where you are with your bass.

get a good pair of monitors with a decent bass end, and stick with it till you get the feel for the bass after referencing on club systems etc..

the acoustics in my studio are terrible, and yet my mixes sound exactly as they should through a system, i can always clearly hear my bass in my studio, and i never have the bass problems many people on here talk about.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

simonb wrote:
Rein wrote:sub can be useful to really feel the power of your tracks... some time ago i composed a track with a bass that isn't really booming on my monitors, but punched you in the chest more than any track i've done on a club system...
Even when I'm practising DJing I feel it can be hard to know how a track will sound in a club, some records sound fairly weak over normal studio monitors but then you hear them in a club and they have a great deep driving bassline that you barely notice at home. I'm thinking of getting a sub at some point for that reason, I'd probably have it on moderately most of the time when DJing and off when producing apart from the occasional check. It's a bit of a non-issue for the time being though, unless I run into some good money in the near future...

don't know what kind of monitors you're mixing on at the moment, but as said before the bass response of the mackies are very useful for bass heavy music like techno...
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Rein wrote:don't know what kind of monitors you're mixing on at the moment, but as said before the bass response of the mackies are very useful for bass heavy music like techno...
I'm using Behringer Truth - can't remember the model name, they've got 8" drivers (same size as the Mackie's I think?). They're actually OK budget monitors despite the company's reputation, I'm happy enough I got them rather than KRK Rokits etc...

They don't have the worst bass response ever, I mean if I really boost the EQ on my mixer the bass gets loud, but it's not that clear/defined and they don't have that natural bassiness if you know what I mean. Fairly standard for nearfield monitors as far as I know.

I might try out a pair when I get the chance, it'd probably be a little while before I have the money but it's yet another thing to add to the list...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

simonb wrote:
Rein wrote:don't know what kind of monitors you're mixing on at the moment, but as said before the bass response of the mackies are very useful for bass heavy music like techno...
I'm using Behringer Truth - can't remember the model name, they've got 8" drivers (same size as the Mackie's I think?). They're actually OK budget monitors despite the company's reputation, I'm happy enough I got them rather than KRK Rokits etc...
but dont try to compare the behringers to the mackies just because they have the same size woofer, there'll be no comparison. all monitors sound different.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

simonb wrote:
It's not all Behringer gear that gets frowned upon but mixers esp so. I know at least 3 people off my head who used the Truths as their monitors while releasing records and were getting great mixes. When I had a pair of Alesis M1 Mk2 actives, I much preferred the Truths when I used them at a mates. In fact, I still have the M1's somewhere, I never did like them as the bass was too much for my room size. Much like what was mentioned before, the bass was so overwhelming that it was hard to hear anything else. I can't remember off my head what they went down to ( 38hz? ) but I def. wouldn't have needed a sub with them in the room I was in.