MIDI timing/sync issues

- ask away
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

MIDI timing/sync issues

Post by simonb »

Hey,

I know this has been touched on in other topics but it would be good to have a thread if there's any suggestions.

I just can't get my sequencer and external gear to play nicely. At the moment I'm triggering my Machinedrum from my sequencer (been trying with both Ableton Live and Renoise) but the beat sounds quite out of time, I can tell each hit's not as precise as it should be so the whole thing just sounds wrong. It's not the overall latency that's an issue, it's that each hit isn't landing bang-on. Needless to say MIDI Sync isn't exactly tight when I try that either, although at the moment I'm just trying to trigger notes to get a beat playing with a combination of the Machinedrum and samples. It's the same when sending MIDI to my synth to play chords etc, although of course the issue is more obvious with beats.

I'm using a PC with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 as the audio and MIDI interface, although I also tried with my Novation X-station as the MIDI interface and timing wasn't any better. I know you can get dedicated MIDI interfaces but I don't really want to spend the money unless I'm pretty sure it would solve the issue.

Any ideas? Using outboard gear together with software sequencing must be a pretty common thing surely...
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: MIDI timing/sync issues

Post by eggnchips »

I know how you feel mate.
This is a real pain in the ass and one would think in this day and age that midi timing wouldn't be a problem.
I have heard good things about this company that have made it their business to sort this problem out: http://innerclocksystems.com/
Looks good but costs $$.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

i fixed this exact same problem by switching from an usb midi interface to a firewire midi interface...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Rein wrote:i fixed this exact same problem by switching from an usb midi interface to a firewire midi interface...
He's using a firewire interface now isn't he?

I always had it with an internal card and its such a common thing that I hardly hear of anyone who doesn't experience it. Can't you just use the track delay? There was a post before about how to set this up to be the extact ms timing. Modern computers and midi just seem to be terrible from what I can gather. I'm thinking of getting a yamaha QY700 hardware sequencer and be done with it. I'm wondering whether software like Live would sync to that then.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

egg and chips is right,
innerclock systems have identified and rectified the problems with their products,

it is outrageous though, jeez i feel sorry for you guys.
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

I'm one of the lucky ones that scored a synclock second hand and it works as described.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I don't seem to get any problems with my midi setup, as long as the drum machines are first in the chain.
I use a mac mini and focusrite saffire fw interface.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Everybody keeps mentioning the interface but I'm not sure this is the reason for any timing errors, I have heard things like 2 people using almost the same set up where just one of them gets issues.

There's a lot that can be affecting midi timing with modern computers, worth giving this a read and applying necessary tweaks: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar00/a ... ditime.htm

I tend to work with audio a lot so even though I was getting timing issues, I'd be creating chains of patterns ( say on the MD ) and then just recording the audio into Live where obviously timing wouldn't be an issue but it's something I def need to address. Hoping to pick a new interface up today so I will at least be trying to tweaks laid out in that article.