Do I need a new sound card/interface?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Do I need a new sound card/interface?

Post by AK »

So I just bought a new PC yesterday and I've just got it up and running and it's great, quiet as a mouse, fast etc etc except!!!!!!! I just opened the thing and found I don't have a PCI slot for my old Audiophile 24/96 card.

I just assumed it would fit in anything. There's a slot there but it's a different size and probably for a graphics card. So is there anything I can do here ( adapter of some kind???? ) or do I just need to get a new audio interface?

It's a bloody old card anyway, never bothered to get anything new.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Do I need a new sound card/interface?

Post by lem »

I would just get a new soundcard mate...

Well done with a silent pc. My mac mini is, and I would pay for silence over processing power any day.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Im a bit annoyed to be honest, Ive spent like £1500 over the last couple of months on making music only to arrive where I can't actually make any!!!

Minor blip I suppose, I need a new audio interface anyway I guess. Gotta research that now.

( re: silent computers, yeah, so much better. My old pc was a quad core and the fan noise was really loud, when you put it under cpu stress, it would get even worse. I just had anough with that pc, problem after problem )
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

There is a recent thread on soundcards. Although I never really have many problems with an interface and will most likely spend less if this one breaks.
I would get what you can afford and try to go firewire.

Can you not make some templates or sort out your sample library in the mean time?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I don't even think there's a firewire connection. I read it's becoming obsolete? Anyway, that leaves USB for audio interfacing and I'm scared of noise. I have an Alesis mixer knocking about somewhere and that has a USB interface option but the noise is just incredible, whether it's USB, the mixer, the lead or what I don't know but surely a USB interface shouldn't have noise?

What's best, firewire or USB? I'll have a look at that thread and post any more questions in there.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

USB is not the reason for the noise. i've had 2 USB interfaces and didn't have any noise.

it sounds like your new computer has the newer type of PCI slot. you might want to research that. PCI and PCI-e is much better than firewire and USB.

as i said on the other thread firewire on a PC is a gamble. it doesn't work for most people, which is why you don't find many PC's with firewire ports. it's not becoming obsolete but it's practically mac only.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

tone-def wrote:USB is not the reason for the noise. i've had 2 USB interfaces and didn't have any noise.

it sounds like your new computer has the newer type of PCI slot. you might want to research that. PCI and PCI-e is much better than firewire and USB.

as i said on the other thread firewire on a PC is a gamble. it doesn't work for most people, which is why you don't find many PC's with firewire ports. it's not becoming obsolete but it's practically mac only.
when you use a firewire interface on the pc, make sure it's a texas instruments based one! will save you a lot of problems and most of the time works fine.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

The slot in your pc is probably a pci-e slot.

If so you could fit either a pci-e interface like the EMU 0404, ESI Maya 44 or RME HDSPe AIO.
Or a pci-e firewire card with a TI chipset like this, and use a firewire audio interface.
The place you bought your PC from should be able to tell you either what slot it is, or what mainboard they fitted. If it's a big oem like dell/hp etc, the spec will be available online.

As far as your experience with the alesis mixer goes, that's not typical of usb interfaces. I've used a few over the years and never had any noise problems with any of them.