Do I need a new sound card/interface?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Do I need a new sound card/interface?

Post by AK »

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out ^^^
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I got the Focusrite Scarlett - USB and it's as quiet as a mouse, already a mile ahead from my old 24/96 card. The Scarlett mixcontrol software mixer is confusing the hell outta me at the moment though but done some test recordings and I'm well happy. I'm using an external mixer as well but bypassing that and going through the preamps with my 101 as some of the bass I use from it is not of a high volume and my mixer adds hiss.

Not checked midi yet ( apart from simple synth playing ) and haven't experimented with altering the ASIO buffer size, it's on 4ms at the moment but it can be switched to 1ms. I guess I will see how it fairs up as I get used to it but right now it's like the Krypton Factor challenge trying to figure out the software mixer/router
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: right now it's like the Krypton Factor challenge trying to figure out the software mixer/router
what is it with soundcard software? the router/mixer on my EMU 1820M is totally confusing and unintuitive, i still have to remind myself whats going on after years of using it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

God knows, it's crazy terminology that they use which is misleading and makes you wonder what the hell they're referring to. Right now, on the software mixer screen, it goes, 'mix 1, mix3, mix4, mix5, mix6' ( no mix 2???? ) :?

But those are like pages of settings I think that you can toggle between as preset set ups, I'm just on mix1. But I still don't know what's going on. There's things called 'loopback 1' 'loopback2' and inputs/outputs called DAW1, DAW2, right through to DAW12. It might make sense in about a year, right now I have been up since 7am trying to get things running smooth. I have discovered audio dropping out here and there but can't see what that is until I get my head around this.

Hey, if anyone has used this Focusrite scarlett mixer thing, any help would be great. Here's a quick screen print I just did, but it doesn't really show much in the way of routing except for all these DAW things. ( The manual is stupid btw )

Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

edit; I just read that and it made no sense.

Set monitor output1 as DAW 1 and monitor output 2 as DAW 2. Line outputs would be DAW 3 and DAW 4. SPDIF's would probably be 5 & 6.

Same with inputs. If it's channel 1, make it DAW 1; Channel 2, DAW 2, etc.

Then in Live your inputs and outputs, depending on the channel number, should line up. I'll check my saffire setup later to confirm, but I think this is what you need to do.

The only time I even open the MixControl software is to click the PFL options on when I'm recording a dj mix. So, it really should be set it and forget it.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

steevio wrote:the router/mixer on my EMU 1820M is totally confusing and unintuitive, i still have to remind myself whats going on after years of using it.
Patchmix was the thing I missed most when I replaced my 1616m.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Phase Ghost wrote:edit; I just read that and it made no sense.

Set monitor output1 as DAW 1 and monitor output 2 as DAW 2. Line outputs would be DAW 3 and DAW 4. SPDIF's would probably be 5 & 6.

Same with inputs. If it's channel 1, make it DAW 1; Channel 2, DAW 2, etc.

Then in Live your inputs and outputs, depending on the channel number, should line up. I'll check my saffire setup later to confirm, but I think this is what you need to do.

The only time I even open the MixControl software is to click the PFL options on when I'm recording a dj mix. So, it really should be set it and forget it.
I'm trying to mimic the settings on my last card see. I used to be able to record internal sounds too, right into Wavelab. Previously, I'd just have my card out going to my external mixers tape in and the mixers main out ( or tape out - didn't matter ) going to card in. Then I could do a number of things, like record internal stuff into wavelab whilst jamming along with hardware and depending on whether I'd switch tape to mix/tape to control room etc, I could either record the external signal or the internal signal but be able to monitor both if I wished.

That was just on a single pair of inputs and outputs with a 24/96 card. So I'm assuming there's no reason why I just can't seem to replicate that setting here. The excess info just adds to the confusion but also, don't forget, it doesn't stop at this mixer, the settings inside say Wavelab, are no in need of alteration and they don't logically add up by name to what's going on in the scarlett mixer, loads of options leave me headscratching.

I just followed what you said above but I need to find more info on this mixer than a tiny pdf that came with it.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

The part that made no sense was my original reply btw, not your post. :)

Anyways, I'll check my setup later and report back. I send stuff from logic out to my modular and back in constantly. To record into wavelab, you may need to enable the PFL buttons in the Mix Control for the channel coming back in. In order for me to hear what I'm recording in Wave Editor (like when I do dj mixes) I have to have the PFL button enabled. It will record, but it I won't hear anything if I don't have those buttons enabled. I have no idea why though, since it's not required for logic.