Do I need a new sound card/interface?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Do I need a new sound card/interface?

Post by steevio »

twisted-space wrote:
steevio wrote:the router/mixer on my EMU 1820M is totally confusing and unintuitive, i still have to remind myself whats going on after years of using it.
Patchmix was the thing I missed most when I replaced my 1616m.
:lol:

i can wire up 60 modules with 200 patch cords and know everything whats going on, yet put some basic mixing software infront of me, and i'm lost. so funny..i think i just switch off my brain when confronted with software nowadays.

can anyone explain how a TV remote works ? ;) didnt have to do the wink did i ?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I was messing around earlier with the loop back 1 & 2 to record internal audio but what was confusing was whether that audio is venturing out of the line outs, through my Alesis mixer and back in the line ins again, or whether it just went straight to wavelab when I was recording it. I was able to do that with my other card which was useful for resampling purposes without constantly adding external mixer noise to the signal on each subsequent resample. These type of things are just confusing me at the minute.

Anyway, I should start by saying how things are set up and how I am trying to configure it, that might make things clearer:

1/ Line outputs 1&2 from Scarlett go to Alesis tape in ( called '2trk in' on the Alesis )
2/ Alesis main mix out, goes to Scarlett line ins 3&4 ( line ins 1&2 being at the front and kept free for now)

That is all that's connected just now. Objective being, to obviously record my external gear and also have the ability to record from sounds/streams originating inside the computer. There's no issue recording external gear. My hardware is fed into the Alesis and it all obviously ends up at the main outs which are connected as above. The pain is the recording of internal audio. Been going through heaps of settings and always end up reverting back to the factory settings on the scarlett mixer software as a fresh start.

For example. I like to load up just a standalone EP and record my keyboard jams directly into Wavelab, no DAW app, just straight to wav. Now, I can get this to work inside wavelab by selecting 'Focusrite USB2 Audio Driver' as the playback & record device and then selecting inputs 3&4 - which is where my Alesis main outs are wired to. And then, I have to press 2trk to mix on the Alesis to send it through the main outs as opposed to it just being a monitored signal. Problem is, the recordings aren't as they should be. The result is a drastic lowering of volume and it sounding like there's now 2 signals that have been recorded when there hasn't.

On the old 24/96 card I had, I simply had to select 'microsoft sound mapper' to record internal stuff and it went directly in with no issues. Now I have a bunch of other options and I'm looking at wavelab, then looking at the options in the scarlett mixer and it's seriously confusing to say the least. Wavelab is giving me 3 options for audio. I don't know how important this is, but they are:

1/ MME-WDM Microsoft Sound Mapper as playback. Setting this gives me an option to then set the recording device to either MME-WDM Microsoft Sound Mapper, or MME-WDM Line In Scarlett USB
2/ I can set playback device to MME-WDM Line Out Scarlett USB and then I get recording options of: MME-WDM Line In Scarlett USB or MME-WDM Microsoft Sound Mapper
3/ (This is the one I have been using:) Playback & Recording device set to Focusrite USB 2 Audio driver.

And with that option 3 above, I then get an ASIO mixer that can be opened which I haven't even bothered to get into as it's just as confusing as the scarletts, probably more so. But if I just click on the section which opens the recording channels, I see an unchecked pair called 'Loop 1 & Loop 2' - which mirrors the ones in the Scarlett. I think they are virtual so might be all I need to do this simple thing?

Y'see how cloudy it can seem though? I just want to be able to record internally as well but have to trawl through and take into account, the Scarlett mixer, the pages in Wavelab and remember to press 2trk to mix on my Alesis - the latter obviously not being an issue though. I also seem to have 2 separate main volume things to balance. The Monitor volume on the front of the Scarlett and the main mix volume on the alesis. Wavelab has a 'record what is played back' option, essentially resampling with no routing out/in but it's just the internal stream I'm findng awkward.

Man, where's the headfuck emoticon?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I think I sussed it. For simply recording interna audio and without it having to venture out and back in again, I use loopback 1 & 2 and set them to DAW1 & 2. Then in Wavelab, I can just tick these and nothing else as a recording option. I can tell it's not going out the pc and back in as the noise floor is just gone completely, whereas when audio passes the my alesis mixer, it gains a bit of hiss.

I think that bits sorted then but it doesn't mean I know what the hell I'm doing in this scarlett mixer yet! :lol:
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Okay dude, here's a link to my setup: http://s-14.net/images/mix_control.jpg

In Logic, all I did was select my audio interface and that's it. No extra configuration. Hope that helps.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

for got to say thanks. :)

I downloaded that image last night and got tweaking and forgot to post back

I have got mine to a setting now which does what I need and saved it. I'm using the Loopback 1&2 for rec internally and have them set to DAW 1& 2 respectively.