Studio Room

- ask away
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Studio Room

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

Hi guys,
My studio is setted in a room long 450cm and large 380cm..my speakers are the dynaudios bm5a mkII and are setted at the end of the room, and they have plus or minus 450cm space left from the other side of the room; they are 160cm distant one to another in the centre of the 380 cm, and i'm distant 160 cm from each speaker.
Now i'd like to know, acoustic treatment apart that i don't have, am i in the right distance?
Would be better if the speakers would be less distant from the end of room?
What's your opinion?

Morover i'ld like to hear more lowend as possible, but in the right way, cause right now there's no too much lowend..Those problem belongs to the speaker or what?!

Thank you.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio Room

Post by lem »

hmm well I am just about to go out, celebrate modular (wheyy!) so this is rushed...

I wouldn't have your listening position in the dead centre of the room width. I'm sure I read somewhere that its better to be slightly ofset, in fact I seem to always sit slightly slumped to one side or another. They also sound like they are way to far apart. Do you sit 160cm away from them?
For a speaker of that size I would say thats too far. But each to their own. I think 1 metre is a perfect distance for speakers of that size, and thats one metre between each aswell.

got to go out....

(modular whey!)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

one or two meters is fine.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/a ... nitors.asp

Personally, I wouldn't sit so far away in a room of your size.
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

But you think that is better that the speakers have a bit of space between themselves and the wall (for example 350-400cm), or they have to meet something (the wall) as soon as the room allows?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

preferably leave some space.
most good monitors have special settings for this.
My old mackie's had 3 setting for this : one if the monitors were in the corners of the room, one if they were against the wall but not in the corner, and one if they were somewhere in the room far enough away from the wall.
The bass response will be different in each of those settings.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

if that was my room, i'd have the speakers on the long (450) wall, i'd have them further apart - 2m and i'd sit 2m away from them, and i would pull them away from the wall about 20cm.

the main thing is not to have them in the corners of the room, or right up against the wall, and try to get them as far apart as you can go up to 2 m.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

sTEVYsTEVE wrote:But you think that is better that the speakers have a bit of space between themselves and the wall (for example 350-400cm), or they have to meet something (the wall) as soon as the room allows?
Im really not sure what you are trying to say.

First thing, speakers that size and quality are not going to have strong bass presence. No matter how you look at it, low frequencies need large cabinets and cones. If they don't it means they have been eq'ed to increase the bass by the manufacturer.

You should sit roughly one third of the way into the length of the room. So if you have 4.5m length, you would sit about 1.5m from the front wall.
The reason that you do this is partly due to a rooms modal responce and partly due to interferance.

Your speakers need to be away from the wall also. Having them too close to a solid surface gives a sort of proximity effect, the bass can get louder and phasey. Its just weird. At this point its pretty amazing what difference a couple of inches will make.
If you havent got the option to have them away from the wall, thats what the eq switches on the back are for.

Assuming you are sitting 1.5m from the front wall, I would have a minimum of 50cm between the speakers and the walls leaving about 1m between yourself and the speakers. Sitting too far away from the speakers, you will be prone to interferance from the walls.

So set your speakers up 50cm from the front wall 1m appart, then sit 1m from the speakers.

Now you have a start, you can move things a little here and a little there. But you have a textbook start and it probably isn't going to get much better without room treatment or larger speakers.

Rather than louder bass they quest should be for clearer bass. which you have decent speakers for, make the most of it!