Studio Room

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio Room

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:if that was my room, i'd have the speakers on the long (450) wall, i'd have them further apart - 2m and i'd sit 2m away from them, and i would pull them away from the wall about 20cm.

the main thing is not to have them in the corners of the room, or right up against the wall, and try to get them as far apart as you can go up to 2 m.

Doesnt this sit you closer to the back wall than the speakers?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
steevio wrote:if that was my room, i'd have the speakers on the long (450) wall, i'd have them further apart - 2m and i'd sit 2m away from them, and i would pull them away from the wall about 20cm.

the main thing is not to have them in the corners of the room, or right up against the wall, and try to get them as far apart as you can go up to 2 m.

not sure what you mean bro ?

it would mean you were sitting in the middle of the room (ish)
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

lem wrote:Now you have a start, you can move things a little here and a little there. But you have a textbook start and it probably isn't going to get much better without room treatment or larger speakers.

Rather than louder bass they quest should be for clearer bass. which you have decent speakers for, make the most of it!
larger speakers in a room that small? don't think that's a good idea...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:
lem wrote:

not sure what you mean bro ?

it would mean you were sitting in the middle of the room (ish)
Sorry I meant 'too' close to the back wall. Which I always thought wasnt recommened in small room acoustics, as with sitting near the centre of the room.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Rein wrote:
lem wrote:Now you have a start, you can move things a little here and a little there. But you have a textbook start and it probably isn't going to get much better without room treatment or larger speakers.

Rather than louder bass they quest should be for clearer bass. which you have decent speakers for, make the most of it!
larger speakers in a room that small? don't think that's a good idea...
I'm not recommending it. I'm just saying thats how you get bigger bass.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
Sorry I meant 'too' close to the back wall. Which I always thought wasnt recommened in small room acoustics, as with sitting near the centre of the room.
you wouldnt be, youd be 1.6M from the back wall, and 2.2M from the wall with the speakers.

btw that room isnt exactly small.

its probably bigger than many of ours on here, its ceratinly much bigger than mine
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Check this:

"How to set up a room"
http://www.realtraps.com/art_room-setup.htm

Lots of useful information:
http://www.realtraps.com/articles.htm
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'll have to dig it out but i read an article in which it advised to use the long wall of a rectangular room for your speakers, the opposite of what it says there.

also ive been in lots of control rooms of studios and mastering rooms, and ive yet to be in one which was the shape in this diagram, they are almost invariably wider than they are long.

i had my studio length ways to start with and it was terrible acoustically, as soon as i turned it round it was much better.

i think you have to experiment to get it right, read as many different articles about it as you can, you'll find advice varies alot.