Studio Room

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Studio Room

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:i'll have to dig it out but i read an article in which it advised to use the long wall of a rectangular room for your speakers, the opposite of what it says there.

also ive been in lots of control rooms of studios and mastering rooms, and ive yet to be in one which was the shape in this diagram, they are almost invariably wider than they are long.

i had my studio length ways to start with and it was terrible acoustically, as soon as i turned it round it was much better.

i think you have to experiment to get it right, read as many different articles about it as you can, you'll find advice varies alot.
You are right that advice varies a lot. I have heard the same advice you give. But in practice it has never worked for me.
I have always thought the facing the length works better if you have a decent amount of space behind you.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

here you go;

'Your room size and studio layout will tend to dictate your sitting position to some degree, but it's generally accepted that working with the speakers set up along the longest wall is preferable, especially in smaller rooms, as this minimises problems caused by side-wall reflections'.
- (sound on sound)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/a ... nitors.asp

this is what ive found to be true for me and the various studio ive had.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I'm not trying to argue, but here is an example of how there is varied information on acoustics;

For the best stereo imagining, it's also best to place them symmetrically in the room, ideally firing down the long axis in smaller rooms, and set up such that the speakers form two corners of an equilateral triangle, the third corner falling at or just behind the listening position. -(sound on sound)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/a ... diosos.htm

I think the best way is to try both methods. My lecturer at Uni was an acoustician and he always emphasised that no matter what calculations you do there are always supprises, the best way is experimentation.

In answer to the original post, with the frequency response of your monitors in mind, I wouldn't expect bass like you are used to. Monitors of this calibre don't do shout-in-your-face bass. They are designed for accuracy.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:I'm not trying to argue, but here is an example of how there is varied information on acoustics;
exactly, and from the same magazine as well.

experiment / reference - its the only way with small project studios.