Why do you produce music?

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Why do you produce music?

Post by steevio »

[quote="spire"]Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
i cant breath if i dont make music

Do you want to be famous and rich?
absolutely not, (could always do with a bit more cash to pay the bills though)

Do you want to contribute some quality music to the scene?
i love being part of the scene, whether its quality or not is up to others to decide

Can you actually do with?
?

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music?
i've done nothing but music all my life, so i suppose thats theoretically professional, but i dont like that term, it suggests thats why you make music, and for me it isnt.

Is it good enough?
some (not enough) of it is, some of it is rubbish

Do you feel satisfied with the tracks you make?
about 5%

Can you improve what its missing?
no, i like my music raw, a good producer mate of mine recently said that if i put another sound in my music, like a pad or soundscape /sample it would be way more sellable. if it sounds good to me when i do it, then its done, warts and all.
ive made much more complex music in the past, that was way more sellable, but it didnt give me any more satifaction.

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
i think you're either a musician or you're not, if you've got the desire then you're a musician, and anyone can get good given enough time. the tiny few who really stand out are geniuses.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i make music to stay healthy. to cling on to something that's real in a world with a lot of confusion. i have never been paid for doing it but hopefully i can earn a few pounds at least some time from it.

famous people lose control of their identity. i want to be able to know who i am and what is important to me.

I don't believe in being gifted from birth, or child prodigys. Either you care about what you do and work hard at it or you don't.

All music is flawed and imperfect. That's what makes it perfect. That's why we are 6 billion people and not just a huge interlinked brain fungus.
Camel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Camel »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?
I mainly make music because it is what I enjoy doing most. I spend a lot of free time this way, and look at it as my recreation/therapy. Like taking a walk, only for me, it's a much more personal experience. Another thing I can't help but really enjoy, is all the support and feedback from friends and acquaintances. This recognition of your work is great, but not my main motivation though.

Famous? no. Rich? Why not? It would mean I don't have to worry about a lot of stuff. Plus I could spend most of my time on music and buy some really expensive gear :D

Yes, that would be great. But if I don't, then that's ok with me.

Do you (realistically) feel you can get somewhere professionally with your music?
To make a living out of it, no I don't.

Is it good enough?
Not quite, but you decide :P SPAM! :P

[END OF SPAM]

At first, always. But you can only really judge a track after you've taken your distance from it for a few weeks. What's left is only a handful of tracks I'm still satisfied with.

I like to think so. Comparing your music to professional stuff all the time can be really demotivating but it's the best way to point out the flaws and stuff.
It takes time, but looking back I've improved a lot since I first started and I'm better than I used to be at getting to a point where the track feels finished.

Is making (good) electronic music a talent that can be developed or is it an artistic gift just a few have?
Put in enough time and patience, I believe most people can achieve a certain level of musicianship. But the few that really elevate the masses possess a talent (or call it: insanity :) ) that most of us don't have. I believe part of this has to do with what you are willing to give up for your music.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Do you have a purpose for producing electronic music?

Yes, I've always wanted to. I don't quite know why but ever since I first heard dance/electronic music I wanted to make it. So I guess the answer is just "I produce electronic music because I want to"?

I'm in the wrong genre for being rich and famous so the answer should be evident ;) seriously though, I'd like to make enough to live or semi-live off, it woudl save me from having to spend so much time in a career that doesn't interest me for the sake of making a living. I don't want fame but recognition amongst those in the know might be nice?

Of course, however you define the "scene". I'm thinking just the music scene in general

I believe there's definitely potential if I get good enough that some people would want to buy it. People have "made it" making similar music so with enough hard work, why not?

Is it good enough?

Not yet, I'm trying to improve all the time though, whether it's the technical aspects or the music itself. I'm still a beginner/intermediate even after a good few years, I feel like this sh!t takes a pretty long time to get good at

Some of them. I don't finish many tracks that I really like but I'm quite proud of the good ones, you all know the ones that you listen back to and wonder how you came up with it...

In time, it's all just practising and learning more...

Bit of both. You'll never make great music if you don't have the inspiration, but at the same time it's a skill which like many other can be developed if you put in the hours. It's a very complex technical thing at the end of the day, unless you're unnaturally quick at learning or quickly discover your "sound" then it takes time and practice to nurture
qfactor
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by qfactor »

AK wrote: 4:
Can you actually do with?
That question makes no sense at all.
Indeed. My error.
Phase Ghost wrote:

Any skill worth having takes time, dedication and love. I've been making music for over 10 years and I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

I'm not totally sure what you're looking for with these questions. But, I will say that if you (or anyone) is making music for any reason other than the love of making music, I feel bad for you. If you're scouring the internet for tips on how to make the next "hot track" or whatever, you're missing the point.
I personally believe, like you, that the main reason should always be a love for the process. But the main issue is how can you tell if FOR YOU making music is all that you care about or is it just a hobby? I mean, what's your path? I think we have to take a reality dose and assess whether or not we have a talent. For me it's a very sad thought. I would like to be an artist but I'm not, and it has been very hard to realize this. We are all creative to some extent but I think the real artist is mainly born, not made. For the real artist, thousands of hours learning worth the effort because she/he can ultimately produce memorable and quality music.

You can love making music, and I'm sure we all do, but does it really worth the effort?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I don't think it's born. I think everyone has something to say about life. I think some people have a stronger internal need to say something and to work to find their voice. All music already exists in some form. I don't believe in heros. I believe in everyone.

For sure it's a hard struggle when you have to justify your art. can I afford to believe in myself? Should I get a "real" job? I don't think anyone has those answers but I believe in myself somehow. Probably stubbornness.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

qfactor wrote: You can love making music, and I'm sure we all do, but does it really worth the effort?
Absolutely it is. It's a labor of love man. There is effort obviously, but it's not something that should be looked at as whether or not it's worth it. Let me give you an analogy: Golf is one of my other passions. I love love love playing golf. I wake at the ass crack of dawn to play on the weekend (when there's not a foot of snow on the ground). I squeeze in 9 holes whenever I can. I'm at the driving range 3 or 4 times a week, I chip in my yard, I practicing putting on my carpet, I tape myself to analyze my swing, I have nice Mizuno irons and I read up on golf just as much as synthesizers.

Sometimes I have sh!t rounds, sometimes I play great. I just love to play. I put a lot of effort into my game, but I don't feel like it's wasted when I hook one into the trees. Am I planning on trying out for the PGA tour? Of course not. A local tournament? Probably not. I just love playing the game man. Same with making music. Don't worry about releasing music or how your tune stands up to whoever's tune or any of that sh!t. Just enjoy the ride man. Experiment, have fun. You might just surprise yourself.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's also worth remembering how many people who are considered 'geniuses' now were never remembered in their time. Van Gogh's brother (I think) was complaining about all the worthless junk that was left in his shed.

So many musicians and artists died completely forgotten and unappreciated.