Compression

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Compression

Post by Rein »

to get on topic, i use a form of compressing when playing live, on the in signal of my vermona drum synth. the guitar amp i'm using has a brick wall limiter at 0.0db, and that's a very handy way to keep volumes level when changing sounds on the fly.

next to that, i use some compressing on drum samples when i want to bring up the decay sound of the hit, or when processing field recordings to bring up the background noises (which i like best most of the time).
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

tsankip wrote: I wonder how many people use compression just becayse they've heard that this is the thing to do?
you wouldn't believe how many. this is one of the only places i've come across where people are not obsessed with compression.

it depends what kind of sound your going for. if you want brutal hard hitting drums then you need to compress the sh!t out of it. you still need good source material though.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

tone-def wrote:
tsankip wrote: I wonder how many people use compression just becayse they've heard that this is the thing to do?
you wouldn't believe how many. this is one of the only places i've come across where people are not obsessed with compression.

it depends what kind of sound your going for. if you want brutal hard hitting drums then you need to compress the sh!t out of it. you still need good source material though.
or just layer your drums with an appropriate synth sound (maybe some attack on it so it doesn't interfere too much with the drum sound).. can get you some great results if done properly.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Rein wrote:
lem wrote:I don't know really, I guess it depends what u listen to. I live so far from civilization, im not really surrounded by influences.

I dont know why I specified 2006, anytime mid 2000 I guess... I was really enjoying 'tech-house' now tech-house is.... well... terrible. I don't know if its the production or the level of crap around.

I don't really know what I mean...
I know I buy a lot less music now than I ever have. I hear some good tunes every so often, but i never buy single tunes.
i think it has to do with the loads of sample and looppacks that appeared in the last 5 years or so when 'minimal' became more mainstream. lots of beginning producers use them to jigsaw a few tunes together and put them on a label... a lot of the stuff sound very much the same... it's a shame really

absolutely.
I've never been a big fan of tech-house, but nowadays, it all sounds the same.
I don't really understand that though. How can people consider themselves being creative in any way if all they do is throw some samples together ?
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:How can people consider themselves being creative in any way if all they do is throw some samples together ?
They don't, they do it to get releases and thus DJ gigs, money and fame.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:
Hades wrote:How can people consider themselves being creative in any way if all they do is throw some samples together ?
:lol:
yes, I know I know...
I guess I just think (or feel ?) differently about these things.
I just want to be proud of what I made, not be proud of how good it sold.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Hades wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
:lol:
yes, I know I know...
I guess I just think (or feel ?) differently about these things.
I just want to be proud of what I made, not be proud of how good it sold.
Different priorities, eh... it seems like a lot of the people here are artists, whereas the sort of people who use "construction kits" and so on can't really call themselves that...