Full and warm bass sound

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Full and warm bass sound

Post by steevio »

if you specifically want warm bass,
low pass filter a pulse wave and adjust the pulse width till the right blend of harmonics in the upper bass / low mids gives you the sound you're after. a 50% duty cycle pulsewave (square wave ) will give you a cold bass, and as you adjust the pulse width it will get warmer till its starts losing its bass(ness)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

lem wrote:The more space you have in the bass end the warmer it sounds.
Ding ding ding.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

lol, it's been said many times...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:I think there is a common misconception that a warm bass means layers, when in my experience its the opposite.
The more space you have in the bass end the warmer it sounds.
yessir

dont clutter your bass, keep it simple.

forgot all that effects/compression/layering/EQ/stereo stuff, nothing sounds sweeter than a clean mono subby bass with only a hint of upper harmonics

edit; i dont want dissmiss other peoples advice, this is purely an opinion thats all.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:Yeah sorry, having bit of a sh!t day. No need to take it out on people in here. Apologies.
:P I wasn't having a dig mate, I was just toying..
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

AK wrote:
lem wrote:Yeah sorry, having bit of a sh!t day. No need to take it out on people in here. Apologies.
:P I wasn't having a dig mate, I was just toying..
I have been feeling bad all day about that! It came across worse than I meant...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK
how are you finding the SH101 for warm bass ?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:AK
how are you finding the SH101 for warm bass ?
Wicked mate. Much more satisfying, I did have one before, around 10/15 yrs ago I think but didn't have a clue as to what I was doing then but I obviously had ears and was aware that it could deliver a solid sound.

Certain things I'm noticing now though I wouldn't have come across back then which I find cool, like if I want a really short staccato style bass pattern, almost like a short kick, subby sound. I can get it perfect. When I try this on other synths, I have difficulty in even getting enough tone in the sound and it always produces clicks as they can't handle the shortness of the envelope/sound and produce the tone at the same time if you know what I mean.

I think the tuning is slightly out. Set at 10'Oclock it's bang on though, to the cent. I haven't checked for drift yet though but soundwise, it's filled the gap for me. It doesn't like being controlled by the Super Bass Station though, I can't predict what's going to happen. Some channels it just responds by playing 8th notes either on the same note or an alternating 8th note pattern with the same not an octave higher. I find it a lot easier to just play my bass in as audio along to the beat or metronome. No headscratching and better results co's I just record several takes of the same riff with slight adjustments each time and I can create another audio file by choosing various notes out of the recordings.

I do want to sort out the sync though but for simple bass duties, I don't really feel the need to be adjusting things on the fly, in fact, once I nail a sound I think works, I don't even want to touch anything in case I fck it up.