Full and warm bass sound

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Full and warm bass sound

Post by tone-def »

software compressors still aren't quite there. there are some good ones but they don't really compare Avalon or API.

i'm liking PSP Old TimerME
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NoAffiliation wrote:
if it's been a few years you may want to check out what software compression can offer, things have really improved, even in the freeware domain.
thing is i spend all my time trying to get a big fat warm analogue sound using the best hardware kit i can afford, using techniques i've been developing for years, so i have absolutely no desire to put my audio into a DAW to process it with software. i know that the latest software is better than it used to be, ive tried the best there is in cutting studios and have just told the engineer to leave it alone, because i preferred the sound as it is fresh out of my studio.

ive said all these things before, so i wont go into it in any detail, but for me its about all the individual parts of the track having their own movement, for me thats where the groove comes from, and if i spend hours using envelopes to get that movement right, the last thing i want to do is change everything in one go by compressing an entire track, with what is effectively a much cruder envelope that distorts. ok sometimes it can help, but for me not very often, and if i'm going to do it, i would rather add some specific harmonic analogue character like running it through tubes.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Why the sudden reference to compressors on a thread entitled 'warm bass'? Whatever may or may not enhance a good sound still doesn't remove the fact that the focus of interest is in the sound aspect - at least for me. It's far more interesting and rewarding to read about techniques employed and synthesis methods used to create bass sounds that work well in a mix way before getting into processing.

Do people use much compression on bass here? I can understand the absolute need for it in say a genre where a bass guitar is used and the dynamic range is very tricky but when you are using a synth bass and have full control over the envelope shape, harmonic content and are in total control of the velocity sensitivity, where does the need for compression on such a sound come in? Ok, a compressor acting as a kind of glue across maybe the bass & drums buss, or something which may impart some 'character' or whatever but these are only enhancing an already well crafted source sound that has been designed to work in its context.

The way I see it, in terms of value, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give a 10 to the whole synth bass programming aspect and getting things as best as you can there at the source, and compression somewhere down the bottom because I don't see it as a 'quick fix' for a poorly designed patch or a way of getting the bass to fit into the track, too many other things carry more significance I reckon, miles before I'd be worrying about anything like compression. Each to their own I guess.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:Why the sudden reference to compressors on a thread entitled 'warm bass'? .
because the guy who wrote the track that this thread refers to said he used Avalon analogue compressors on his track.