Full and warm bass sound

- ask away
Camel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Full and warm bass sound

Post by Camel »

I've been trying to get a warm bass foundation for my productions. As an example of what I'm trying to achieve, please listen to this excellent piece of music:

Sounds like a layered bass which gives it so much size, but still remains deep. I've tried layering some LPF sounds on top of the bass that plays the same midi notes (pad sounds, bass sounds etc.), used compression for a sucking effect and played around with several filter settings. None of these approaches got me even close to the sound in the clip above.

Hope you can help me in the right direction (or at least enjoyed the track :roll: ). Thank you
Kleig
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Full and warm bass sound

Post by Kleig »

Sounds like a slightly saturated sine to me. I think the trick to the fullness might be that the actual bass notes are mono and the higher layer is ran through a stereo enhancer effect. Nice track!
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

create a return track with a chorus and a eq
cut the lows on the return and youre done
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

a nice string resonator could also do the trick. nice track indeed!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I first wondered if I was listening to the same track as you guys. I don't hear any sine waves, no saturation, or anything. All I hear are 2 chords retriggered on every 4th step. A Cm chord and a Gm chord ( I-IV progression throughout the whole song )

It sounds to me like 2 detuned sawtooth waves or a saw and a sqaure with the LP filter set very low with a chorus effect engaged. Then it's just a 2 handed chord progression, a C note in the left hand and a C minor chord in the right hand in the next octave - and then moving to G. I think a simple bass sound underpins the C&G a bit later on but that's about it.

Incidently, you might obtain such a sound with a chord memory function and a synth like Korg Legacy Polysix or Monopoly. Play the intervals above and hit the chord button and shape the sound, you'd easily nail it with that, it's a very basic sound you're all just getting confused because you are hearing different intervals from the chords and thinking they are different 'bass layers'. They're not, they're just the effect on the chords from the LP filtering which is eliminating a lot of the harmonic content and bringing the waveforms closer to a sine/almost Organ-like.
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

Load this up into a spectrum analyser and you will see that there is a sine wave one octave down in sync with the chords and that is pretty much it. The chords themselves are sine waves as well and then add chorus/reverb, saturation/distortion to taste. If I have sometime later today I might try recreating this.
Last edited by djd_oz on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

djd_oz wrote:Load this up into a spectrum analyser and you will see that there is a sine wave one octave down in sync with the chords and that is pretty much it. The chords themselves are sine waves as well and then add chorus, saturation/distortion to taste. If I have sometime later today I might try recreating this.
Could be mate, could be, that's why I said at the end, almost sine/organ like.

Either way you'd get a very similar sound with a very LP filter playing C/C/Eb/G & G/G/Ab/D and of course chorus. I'm ( supposed ) to be working right now so only have a pair of iPod style headphones on, very difficult to make out the type of waveform in the sound but I'm very good at hearing and naming chords by ear and that isn't restricted by sh!t headphones. There's nothing complex going on at all
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Jeez, are we still talking about bass?
I haven't listened to it, but I bet its a bloody sinewave!
Always the same question with the same answer.