new audio interface, any suggestions?

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: new audio interface, any suggestions?

Post by eggnchips »

I enjoyed using this one for many years until I needed for ins. http://www.thomann.de/de/edirol_fa66.htm
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

go for an echo audiofire. Really good converters for it's price and good midi.
spire
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spire »

I just picked up the Steinberg UR28M @ $399 USD and love it.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ha ... ur28m.html

I highly recommend this interface. It has 2 headphone outputs, one of which is assignable. The pre-amps are great and it's USB 2.0 which works nicely for my setup.

Look into it. It's made by Steinberg but it works great with any DAW of your choice.

P.S. - I'm new here, hi everyone. :]

Edit: Just realized it doesn't have MIDI in/out. I guess forget my suggestion...
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

thanks for the responses everyone... decided to go with the m-audio pro fire 610. works excellent!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

spire wrote:I just picked up the Steinberg UR28M @ $399 USD and love it.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/ha ... ur28m.html

I highly recommend this interface. It has 2 headphone outputs, one of which is assignable. The pre-amps are great and it's USB 2.0 which works nicely for my setup.

Look into it. It's made by Steinberg but it works great with any DAW of your choice.

P.S. - I'm new here, hi everyone. :]

Edit: Just realized it doesn't have MIDI in/out. I guess forget my suggestion...
these steinberg interfaces sound amazing. how are the drivers? any weird sh!t going on? are you mac or PC?
spire
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by spire »

tone-def wrote:these steinberg interfaces sound amazing. how are the drivers? any weird sh!t going on? are you mac or PC?
I'm on Win7 and the drivers work great, haven't had any issues yet. I bought this as an upgrade from my old E-mu 0404 and the routing capabilities with made it worth every penny.

One thing I really love about the UR28M is that with my old 0404, whenever I had a DAW open, it would take full control of the audio drivers. Whenever I wanted to watch a YouTube video or listen to an mp3, I would have to set the "Release drivers when app is in background" setting, minimize my DAW, and -then- I could hear other audio. Not so with the UR28M, I can hear all audio being played in the OS, whether or not my DAW is open. Such a small thing but it makes such a huge difference.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Why doesn't it have MIDI? How are you getting midi in and out?

I'm in rapid need of an interface, what's best, USB 2 or Firewire? I am a bit weary about using USB but only because I have had just one experience with it via an Alesis mixer and it's absolutely ridiculous in terms of noise. To give you an idea, the background noise floow is about -30db. So it's totally useless. Is this any reflection on USB in general or have I just had a bad experience?

My new pc's motherboard only has a pci slot for a graphics card which means I can't add a firewire port, I can't use my old soundcard co's there's no slot for that, so I'm stuck with USB as an interface I guess.

Anybody else interfacing via usb? What are things like latency like and noise?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I have got an NI audio 8, it doesnt output any noticeable noise... I do get noise when the laptop charger is connected as its a poor quality laptop/psu. Bus power is something I would probably avoid...

Do you want to multitrack a lot of channels?