new audio interface, any suggestions?

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

new audio interface, any suggestions?

Post by Rein »

hi! i'm looking for a new audio interface/soundcard for my laptop. it's a 2012 macbook pro, so it has that new interface.

my experience so far is limited to a mixer with built in sound card, but i've had a lot of problems with faulty recordings through the usb port. the need for a sound card is also there because of i don't like taking my big mixer with me at gigs (will be playing some live sets so stability is also important for me).

my setup is a drum computer that runs through an guitar amp, with mono out plus one synth (also mono). maybe i'd like to add one or two synths more. also, i'd like to be able to put out at least 3 stereo outs from ableton so i can run them trough hardware fx (or maybe outs than can be configured both as for example 6 mono out or 3 stereo out). but more is always better.

what's also important is a good midi clock, if possible. my drum computer is sequenced by ableton, but when using the input from the macbook and running the audio through an input in ableton, there's a nasty lag of 50ms that's very hard to work around because it fluctuates about 10ms over time. the sound card must off course be able to sync the inputs and outputs by itself..

my budget is around 300 euro's...

thanks in advance for the help!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: new audio interface, any suggestions?

Post by hydrogen »

Save your money and get an RME.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

What drum computer have you got?
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

hydrogen wrote:Save your money and get an RME.
rme definitely looks good, but that's just too much money... i need to have this interface in a few weeks.
lem wrote:What drum computer have you got?
vermona drm1 mk3
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Maybe a Focusrite? I might be saying that because I have one. But I know I don't get any midi problems with it. Other than that I wouldn't have a clue.
Your drum machine is the first midi device in a chain isn't it??
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I haven't seen any thunderbolt interfaces yet. There are firewire to thunderbolt adapters I think. Echo has nice midi for an audio interface.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

i used to use focusrite (old series) midi clock to send midi to a few intruments in a chain (3-4 instruments) with no issue. so thats what i would go for.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

also have a focusrite. the small 24 dsp...really dont have the urge to buy a new one. sounds good recording wise. midi works fine. driver also on win 7 and xp.
i only would exchange it for the new rme. those consumer focusrite sound pretty decent for the price.
techno made me do it