Access Virus C repair

- ask away
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Access Virus C repair

Post by simonb »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you had any advice on this. I asked on Infekted.org a while ago, which seems to be the main forum for Virus users, but haven't had any responses.

I bought a second-hand Virus C last year, and after a couple of months it started to act a bit dodgy. It was fine when I got it but as time went on it got worse and worse and now it's at the point that it's pretty much unusable. This point was actually a few months ago but I got distracted by being away from home for a while, now I'm back and keen to get it sorted...

What happens is that the 3 main sets of buttons (Part, Parameter and Value up and down buttons) seem to do all sorts of stuff when they're pressed instead of what they're meant to do. Most often they take me to random menus - everything from LFO parameters, to general settings like Random Amount or Global Midi Chan, to filter modes, to just about anything else, or switching between Single and Multi, or navigating to a completely different part/bank. So of course this makes it nearly impossible to change the sound or adjust any parameters that involve using any of these buttons.

I emailed Access support and was referred to a guy/service centre in Germany (synthesizerservice.de), who gave me a quote of around 100-180 euros + VAT + shipping from UK. Obviously that would be a bit of a pain and is money I'd rather not spend if I don't have to (although I will if it's the only option), so does anyone here have any advice? Feel free to ask anything if I'm not clear enough here...
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Access Virus C repair

Post by Casanova808 »

Have you saved your patches and flashed the OS yet?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

exactly the same thing happened to my Virus b.

it was a faulty chip, i tried to get it fixed in the UK, but synthesizerservice.de seem to be the only people who can do the job. they are affilited to Access, presumably thats the only place you can get the chip.

however its worth checking that it isnt the power supply thats faulty before you send your synth off to Germany.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Casanova808 wrote:Have you saved your patches and flashed the OS yet?
No and yes, I'll get saving the patches. There's not much there that I'm desperate to keep as most of the time I spent with it was just messing around/getting to know it but I might as well get them backed up.
steevio wrote:exactly the same thing happened to my Virus b.

it was a faulty chip, i tried to get it fixed in the UK, but synthesizerservice.de seem to be the only people who can do the job. they are affiliated to Access, presumably thats the only place you can get the chip.

however its worth checking that it isnt the power supply thats faulty before you send your synth off to Germany.
Glad to hear someone else has had this problem and that it's fixable... I don't think it's the power supply, I tried using a generic 12V/0.5A plug and the same thing happened as with the official supply. Reckon it's reasonable to assume that's not te issue then?