Potential synth purchases. Would like some advice

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Potential synth purchases. Would like some advice

Post by AK »

I was using batteries to rule out the synth being at fault for the bit of noise, not intending on using them. Yeah, it's just a crap PSU that needs replacing, apparently I need a 9v and negative polarity. I've read guitar shops might be ideal, will look into that tomorrow.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:I was using batteries to rule out the synth being at fault for the bit of noise, not intending on using them. Yeah, it's just a crap PSU that needs replacing, apparently I need a 9v and negative polarity. I've read guitar shops might be ideal, will look into that tomorrow.
just meaning take them out when you're finished testing incase you forget theyre in there,

old leaky U2s and synth PCBs dont mix
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

without creating a new thread, can anyone recommend a synth for pads for under £500? I've got an SH101 and 707 atm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

MarkA wrote:without creating a new thread, can anyone recommend a synth for pads for under £500? I've got an SH101 and 707 atm
Hmm, there is a lot to choose from. Any other features you need? Midi? Voice count? Multitimbral?
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

lem wrote:
MarkA wrote:without creating a new thread, can anyone recommend a synth for pads for under £500? I've got an SH101 and 707 atm
Hmm, there is a lot to choose from. Any other features you need? Midi? Voice count? Multitimbral?
Midi would be nice not essential.
Don't mind regarding voice count / multi timbral as I'm not 100% sure on what I want, just some examples that I can check out...
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I have got a SCI Sixtrak for sale if you are interested?
6 voice poly and real VCO's....
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

there are so many synths that can fit that description... it's impossible to start.
what would you be using it for.
pads, yes, but I mean : what kind of pads do you like (yes, there are tons of different types), and how would you use the synth.
I've been a sucker for pad sounds for years, so I've had my fair share of buying (and selling) good pad synths.
Does it have to be a hardware synth ?
Because otherwise I would definitely go software for pads.
Unless you must have something exotic like additive or wavetable synthesis (which are both great for pads), I think the best pad synths for the moment are software.
My absolute favourite is Omnisphere.
Spectrasonics' Atmosphere was already great for pads, but it wasn't much more than a glorified rompler. Omnisphere has tons of great sounds (comes with over 5000 presets, nicely arranged so it's easy to find your way) and has a massive synthesis engine as well, so you can never get bored with it.
Omnisphere has it all covered pad-wise : from nice and rich analog pads to cold and digital ones, rumbling textures for soundtrack-scoring,...
They sampled tons of legendary synths to build the omnisphere library, and it's perfectly done as well.
For example : I have a JX10 behind me, and a K5000r next to me. If I play some of the best pads they have, I can find the exact same presets in Omnisphere, and I garantue you you hear almost no difference.
Another good option software-wise for pads is Absynth or FM8, but both won't be as "easily tweakable", let alone programmable as Omnisphere.
(of course, all these synths have tons of other great sounds as well, don't forget that)

hardware synths ?
that depends on the type of pads you like. If you want analog, I'd say a juno or a JX10, or a Matrix 6 (or even 1000 if you don't mind having no direct programming options) I've had all of these here for years, and they've all proven to be great sounding synths, that are still affordable (although prices have gone up over the years), and they're still stable synths that won't break down to easily.
If you want a VA synth, then an older Virus might come cheap enough.
I can also recommend you the Novation K-station or even better, a KS-rack. Both are easy to be found for around 200 to 300 I think.
The K-station is too much overlooked in my opinion. I really don't like VA synths, but I love my K-station, it has such a beautiful "liquid" kind of sound that gels easily into mixes.

If you want more exotic hardware, look into stuff like the K5000 or a wavetable synth like the waldorf XT or a Fizmo. But I wouldn't really go there if I were you, unless you're a die-hard synthesist.

But if you really need to get a hardware synth, I'd go for an older roland rompler model, like the XV series.
The advantage is they come loaded with tons of good presets, and offer you a very flexible range of pads. They're like a swiss army knife : good for all kinds of small jobs. And they don't sound outdated at all.

And finally, another model you could consider is the JD800, a real warm sounding pad monster...
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

lem wrote:I have got a SCI Sixtrak for sale if you are interested?
6 voice poly and real VCO's....
possibly, will check it out
Hades wrote: there are so many synths that can fit that description... it's impossible to start.
what would you be using it for.
thank you so much for your post, going to check them out