Post by tsankip »

Nice samples in this one. Cheers ;)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Techno Sample pack FREEBIE from Mattias Fridell

Post by Opuswerk »

awesome -boom

thanks for asking him. and thanks to him for his great reply. Looking forward for some more :P
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
CliftonFerry
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CliftonFerry »

I tested the method used. Funny enough I just came half ways and made some cool sounding bass patterns with my own little touch on the matter. Guess for me his method of making bass works more as inspiration and direction meter of new ways of thinking.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

I sent him a mail saying the exact same thing Clifton - lol

I do stuff like that already.. but reading about how he did it, it gives you the confidence to try sh!t out - and gives you the confidence that you are doing the right thing.

He said that its about not destroying the sound. Hes right. Restraint is needed.. but the approach is something that most of us already do in one way or another. Its just remembering to fucking do it -squint :lol:
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

Pretty cool trick, here is something I whipped up in 30 mins using default Ableton plugins.

ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

and.. the other reverb / bass thing.

Is to stick a reverb after a single kick.. if you have a clip - maybe make it 2bars

Add reverb as insert. Make the reverb 50% wet(see what sounds good).. make the predelay long.. maybe 3 - 5 sec delay take some of the hi's from the reverb (or do it after if you want) - then bounce the file.

You should have a Kick... then..... a reverb tail from the kick.

Select the reverb tail. Crop it. Stick it into your simpler/sampler & place it as midi notes wherever. You can use the envelope to get it the way you want.

Good to add EQ / comp / SC comp whatever you want.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

More news from Matt - Really nice fella 8)
About the other samples in my pack:
Most of the percussion, bassdrums and elements been created by layering different sources of sound. Nothing special yet again.
Been using much filters & EQ to cut and edit in different regions of the frequency spectrum here, one sound contains between 2-5 different sound sources (Which also requires 2-5 different sound spectrums, bass, low mid, mid, high mid and highs simply).
Drums like 909, 808 and similar classic machines, as well as synth sounds, been used to create these. I work much with phase linear EQ for this process since its easy to mess up the phase when layering so many sounds and making one package of it. As well as M/S EQ:ing to make sure the bottom really is mono and just some sparse spread on the sides when needed. Much pitch shifting, ring modulation, FM filtering, distortion & just about any type of processing of the individual spectrum region is used (without overdoing it) to give the layers some nice tone and character. At this point I toss all the layers in the same bus channel so I have them all in a package, then I use a transparent EQ to cut away lots of bass (and low-mid when needed) usually between -20 to -30 dB. From here I add lost of color in the regions I took away by boosting and saturating with other tools, like the Nasty LF plugin from Bootsy. Brilliant piece of ones & zeros that one! Its good at reshaping the bass spectrum and create a whole new character to it. Lots of boost while you can cut at the same time, and add a brilliant saturation.

Another thing I've been using (more then transparent EQ) is this method. You know the PSP Vintage Warmer right? Hehe, everyone uses this these days. But I found that this device works best the opposite way of its standard way of working. Instead of warming the sound with it....you kill and suck all life out of it with it! It's very simple too, turn the Drive knob all the way down to -42 dB, then you can take away the bass to. Excellent tool to suck the life out of anything! It makes it extremely easy to reshape the character of the sound with saturation and dynamic EQ:ing. It needs lots of boosting and one gotta be careful here to not destroy the sound. But once used to it it works great in all cases. This is the most common way I create new sounds for myself. I can sit for days without actually producing any music but instead create new sounds this way, or hammer my synths, add effects and experiment while constantly recording what I do. I can re-visit these files and cut away great parts from it and keep processing it further or leave it as they are.

Hope that helps a bit as well to keep the ideas and inspiration flowing :)

Best
Mattias
CliftonFerry
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CliftonFerry »

:shock: The Vintage Warmer thing :-sta