Cheap USB Mic For Techno Vocals - Under £100

- ask away
MadeInMachines
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Cheap USB Mic For Techno Vocals - Under £100

Post by MadeInMachines »

I'm looking for something just to capture little bits of vocals and maybe some field recording. With the vocals that I capture I'm probably going to be spoken word and most of the time mangling them heavily so I think just a cheap usb condenser is all thats required. I even used my macbook pro mic once and it wasn't so bad as I mangled it anyway. I would like something better though so I'm considering:

Samson Q1U USB Dynamic Microphone (Either this or the Behringer are dirt cheap at £40 so if on of them is decent enough might go for it)
Behringer C-1U USB
AKG Perception 120 USB Condenser (Top end of my budget at £100)

Wild Cards: I don't know if it is worth going for a dedicated condenser when I could get a something portable for recording found sounds too.

Blue Mikey V2 Condenser Mic for Apple Devices

Zoom H1 Portable Digital Recorder - probably not very good for vocals but then again I'm not recording Alecia Keys and probably no singing (although It would be handy to use in that capacity should she or any other vocalist pop round for a cup of tea)
http://soundcloud.com/madeinmachines/made-in-machines-wasp
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Cheap USB Mic For Techno Vocals - Under £100

Post by eggnchips »

The Zoom H2 has dropped price considerably recently. They are going for 120 quid now. They were 150 or so last year when I got mine.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

The Zoom H2 has dropped price considerably recently. They are going for 120 quid now. They were 150 or so last year when I got mine.
MadeInMachines
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MadeInMachines »

Have you used yours for vocal use? What do you think of the H2? Yes it's a good price. I think the H2n is replacing it.
http://soundcloud.com/madeinmachines/made-in-machines-wasp
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Any microphone will do - this is techno.

I use an SM58, the built in microphone on a laptop, and some in-ear headphones.

I have used 414's, neumann's, octava's, SE.....
....they sound great but its too much for techno I think. They are better suited to sound sources that you arn't gonna fck with.

The only thing I miss is the depth you can get with a stereo pair.
I'm always on the lookout for a cheap pair of condensers but they seem to go 4 too much 2nd hand.

To be honest I think you will be happy with any of the mics you have mentioned....
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

If you just want to record vocals then maybe a cheap mike is a good option. The advantages of the H2 are that you can take it anywhere and record what you like. Field recordings are great in techno.