Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S ( monosynth + sequencer )

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S ( monosynth + sequencer )

Post by steevio »

djd_oz wrote:
steevio wrote:there are virtually no limitations to a modular set-up
I sometimes find that having some limitations makes me more creative with the gear and try to push the gear a little further.
i hear this time and time again, but its like Barcelona football club saying 'well we've got all these world class players, but lets leave Messi, Iniesta, and Xavi out, because we can be more creative with limitations'
(sorry if that analogy means nothing to you)

it's easy enough to limit yourself with a modular, just patch something simple up...

you dont need an excuse to push your gear as far as it can go.....isnt that what this music is all about ?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote: you dont need an excuse to push your gear as far as it can go.....isnt that what this music is all about ?
I thought it was about buying gear that you don't have time to use. Actually I wish I got into my gear more... I keep telling myself just use what u have and then I'm like... Whoooaaa I need that! Like a little kid in toys r us... Anyways... I really think it takes some time to get into a peice of gear and how you want to use it in your music. In this regard modular sounds like the most endless happy time.:)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:
steevio wrote: you dont need an excuse to push your gear as far as it can go.....isnt that what this music is all about ?
I thought it was about buying gear that you don't have time to use. Actually I wish I got into my gear more... I keep telling myself just use what u have and then I'm like... Whoooaaa I need that! Like a little kid in toys r us... Anyways... I really think it takes some time to get into a peice of gear and how you want to use it in your music. In this regard modular sounds like the most endless happy time.:)
for me bruv its about getting a setup that does everything you want it to do and does it very well, and then stopping buying shizz when you've got enough to keep you buzzing for years to come.

i havent bought a module or anything else for that matter in nearly a year, and i cant visualise buying anything more for at least a few years. i just want my synth to be my idea of a synth, not someone elses.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

plus one modular is a peice of piss.

my synth is finished. it's taken me a long time to put it together in the right way but honestly it's done and i don't need to change it again in my lifetime. i don't need a buchla or a serge or whatever. this is it for me. these are my limitations. this is my musical friend of a lifetime. a chinese puzzle box.

yeah i'm a middle class wanker to be able to afford this stuff. but i don't buy stuff i don't need and i'm so far into the red it hurts. but this is my place. this synth is my musical home.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

oblioblioblio wrote:plus one modular is a peice of piss.

my synth is finished. it's taken me a long time to put it together in the right way but honestly it's done and i don't need to change it again in my lifetime. i don't need a buchla or a serge or whatever. this is it for me. these are my limitations. this is my musical friend of a lifetime. a chinese puzzle box.

yeah i'm a middle class wanker to be able to afford this stuff. but i don't buy stuff i don't need and i'm so far into the red it hurts. but this is my place. this synth is my musical home.
What have you got? I know steevio has mentioned what comprises his set up but I don't recall having read what's in yours.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

I think its good to use a mixture of things, software, modular and whatever else your imagination calls upon.

I planned to build a modular rig for my home then have other stuff to be part of another rig more mobile. I mean why limit yourself too working in the same room for the rest of your life, iv been there and done that , its not inspiring atall, its not all about synths . try taking a modular rig around with you when your traveling , fck that. These small little analogue boxes are great for that.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Pigeon Provider wrote:I think its good to use a mixture of things, software, modular and whatever else your imagination calls upon.
thats one way for sure, but if you've never used an all modular rig, then you cant comment on what it would be like.
ive done both, and i know which is the best for me.
Pigeon Provider wrote:I planned to build a modular rig for my home then have other stuff to be part of another rig more mobile. I mean why limit yourself too working in the same room for the rest of your life, iv been there and done that , its not inspiring atall, its not all about synths . try taking a modular rig around with you when your traveling , fck that. These small little analogue boxes are great for that.
i do exactly that, take my modular on the road. its two flight cases, and its a shitload less than the gear i used to lug around with me when i was a guitarist in a band.
i'm afraid the laptop era has turned everyone into wusses, its not about whether you can be bothered to carry your gear about with you, its about providing something different, using the best kit you have available to you, and what youre used to in your studio.
get yourself down the gym ;)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote: What have you got? I know steevio has mentioned what comprises his set up but I don't recall having read what's in yours.
Mainly based around stuff by Wiard... their modules really suit me. I also really like some of the more conventional products by Metasonix. Some of their stuff is extreme but some of it is very conventional gear but with a twist. Quite affordable too compared to other tube gear. I also think Blacet does a very good job.

I posted my exact set up in that modular etc. thread if you're interested in specific modules and I go can into more detail about it when I can properly sit down.