Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S ( monosynth + sequencer )

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Analogue Solutions Leipzig-S ( monosynth + sequencer )

Post by steevio »

why dont you buy another waldorf pulse then ?

i cant think of a much better synth for bass than a 101, so if that pisses all over it, you've got your answer bro.

if you ever want to check out a modular, you dont live that far away from me (Mid Wales), you're welcome to check out mine.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Seriously stoned last night so whatever I was on about probably didn't make much sense.

I was just wondering about this synth that's all, I'm all ears for anything decent in the low end dept as that's what I'm lacking just now in terms of source sounds. Steevio, I'd love a 101 mate but I'm just not prepared to pay the amount that they change hands for now, it was probably a bit of jealousy if I said that about the Pulse.

I might still get another Pulse, I do like them but they are frustrating at times. When something new gets in your head, there's a different kind of attraction though and I was inspired by the fact that it has a sequencer. And that's the thing I can't seem to get info on. I'm obviously interested in how it sounds but also, whether I could sequence it internally and have it clocked by another external sequencer and also whether the internal sequencer is more than just a note on/off thing.....

I very nearly ordered one yesterday but I'm glad I didn't, I was seriously out of it on booze and weed and need to give things more thought. Thank god I have no work today anyways, I feel like sh!t.

[edit] Hey, would love to check out your set up bro, might hold you to that sometime in the new year! :D
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

steevio wrote:there are virtually no limitations to a modular set-up
I sometimes find that having some limitations makes me more creative with the gear and try to push the gear a little further.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

djd_oz wrote:
I sometimes find that having some limitations makes me more creative with the gear and try to push the gear a little further.
I assume it's completely open ended, in orther words, you could, if you wished to, have a set up whereby you impose restrictions or build the modular set up to suit your own needs. But I am not going that route, not because I wouldn't want to, I imagine it's a fascintating and inspiring musical world to be in but because my personality isn't compatible with something like a modular set up. I'd spend too much time tweaking and exploring configurations and would never actually get round to writing music. I'd also end up skint as I tend to buy on impulse due to my impulsive personality. I reckon stevvio and co are either incredibly rich or incredibly skint, that is, they've either spent all their money on modular stuff or can simply spend without worrying about the financial outcome. When I win the lottery on Saturday, I might consider going modular but until then, I am too scared to dip my toes in that water. :lol:

Man, I need to get out and about to sober up, very nearly ordered this thing again.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Duh! I'm so retarded, I just saw there's a download for the damn manual on the site. Time to read.........If it seems to fit the bill, fck it, I'm ordering.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote:
djd_oz wrote:
I assume it's completely open ended, in orther words, you could, if you wished to, have a set up whereby you impose restrictions or build the modular set up to suit your own needs. But I am not going that route, not because I wouldn't want to, I imagine it's a fascintating and inspiring musical world to be in but because my personality isn't compatible with something like a modular set up. I'd spend too much time tweaking and exploring configurations and would never actually get round to writing music. I'd also end up skint as I tend to buy on impulse due to my impulsive personality. I reckon stevvio and co are either incredibly rich or incredibly skint, that is, they've either spent all their money on modular stuff or can simply spend without worrying about the financial outcome. When I win the lottery on Saturday, I might consider going modular but until then, I am too scared to dip my toes in that water. :lol:

Man, I need to get out and about to sober up, very nearly ordered this thing again.
my prediction if you went modular... you'd probably make 1 or 2 patches and use those for a couple weeks... i don't think you'd be spending your life making patches. I'm sure if obliblbio(sp?) or steevio posted some modules you could get the exact same setup here for a couple more $ and you'd be on your way to awesome. especially with a sequencer like that... i would much rather have that in a module situation.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

There seems to be a bit of a misconception about difficulty associated with creating synth patches on a modular synth. That misconception is that there is a level of difficulty at all. I'm assuming, of course, that said user would know the basics of using a synthesizer.

When you see something patched up with a sea of cables, I understand how it can look complicated and perhaps difficult to achieve. However, I'd argue that it's quite the opposite. The process of plugging in cables and physically following the signal flow straight from the oscillator is the easiest and most organic method of creating a synth patch I've ever encountered. By the time a patch gets finished and has a bunch of cables, you don't have to think about what's going on everywhere. You'll just know. Plus, there will usually only be a few places where you'll be playing the patch (filter, mixer, eg). Looks are quite deceiving in regards to modulars. I think this is something people learn within the first few days of owning one.

Also, I'd like to point out another feature which I seem to leave out when I'm talking about modulars. You can generate multiple parts of a song with one synth. I realize some synths already do this by splitting the keyboard and what not, but they don't do it like this. I routinely have 3 sounds generated for a song from my 9u rig at once. Since it's all voltage controlled, those sounds can mutate of evolve off of each other.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

with the risk of going on and on about modular, i'll risk it and go on and on about modular, and say the leipzig is effectively a load of Analogue Solutions modules in a box, with the dissadvantage of it being fixed architecture.

Phase Ghost is bang on when he says that modulars look much more intimidating than they really are. it is absolutely the easiest, quickest, most flexible, intuitive, and fun-est way to make electronic music.

with your knowlege of synthesis AK, it would be a breeze for you. seriously.

i'd say the leipzig is way more comlex than you need for good bass.

this is what i use for bass;

MFB Osc2 triple VCO (using just one VCO for bass leaving 2 more for other stuff) -------- £167
TipTop Z2040 VCF/VCA ---------------------------------------------------------------£150
Analogue Systems RS60 ASDR ---------------------------------------------------------£115

the above set-up is the best sounding bass ive ever had.

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/mfb-mo ... iple-vco-2
http://postmodular.co.uk/tiptop/z2040-4-pole-vcf
http://www.analoguesystems.com/

why do you need a sequencer ?
theres not much to be gained just analogue sequencing your bass when everything else is being sequenced by your computer.

you could save money on the VCO by buying a single VCO (Asys RS95e----£145), but you would need something like a TipTop happy endings kit to house the modules, and a midi CV convertor, although that can be done with software (Expert sleepers, Volta)

and if you bought Analogue Solutions modules it would be 1/3rd as cheap again, theyre as cheap as chips.

just showing you the options bro,