Want to buy... Jupiter 6

- ask away
Post Reply
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by AK » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

steevio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:I was thinking today that I think polyphony is sh!t.
i know its OT, and i wish Hydrogen good luck with the jupiter, but i kind of agree.

it depends alot on what type of music your'e making, for minimal music, which is still what i make, i dont need polyphony.

i find that raw sounds work best for the type of music i make, i dont need that clasic polyphonic synth sound. i'd much rather get deep into the individual waveforms.

but if i could afford it, it would be nice to own a jupiter 6 or 8, but it would just be a luxury. i dont need one.
Just out of interest, how are you writing your chords without polyphony? If you are stacking individual VCO's from your modular, how much voices do you leave yourself for monophonic sounds?

I can't remember how many oscillators you said you had now, apart from your Voyager, are all other voices coming from your modular ( SH-101 too? )

lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by lem » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

oblioblioblio wrote: meh, I can't be arsed with 6 voices and sh!t all control.
I hate to keep the OT going but, is it any different to a minimoog? I don't understand what voices have to do with it?
Is it just that you just like modular?

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2556
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 am
Contact:

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by oblioblioblio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 pm

for me, I think that polyphonic synths rely too much on ideas of harmony that are less relevent to electronic music. I build layers of tonality by using single oscillators as voices with the harmonic layers built in. You can get very complex dense sounds using just 2 oscillators and some clever filtering.

My synth has 6 oscillators total and I don't use anything else. Of course I'm biased becuase I've chosen to use these machines instead of other ones, but I don't think that should make my opinion less relevent. I'm just saying what's right for me.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by steevio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:27 pm

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:I was thinking today that I think polyphony is sh!t.
i know its OT, and i wish Hydrogen good luck with the jupiter, but i kind of agree.

it depends alot on what type of music your'e making, for minimal music, which is still what i make, i dont need polyphony.

i find that raw sounds work best for the type of music i make, i dont need that clasic polyphonic synth sound. i'd much rather get deep into the individual waveforms.

but if i could afford it, it would be nice to own a jupiter 6 or 8, but it would just be a luxury. i dont need one.
Just out of interest, how are you writing your chords without polyphony? If you are stacking individual VCO's from your modular, how much voices do you leave yourself for monophonic sounds?
ive got 6 VCOs plus the 3 in the Voyager, and two dedicated drum modules, and at the moment i'm not using my two 101s, mainly because i'm working on a live set-up that works inthe studio as well, and i'm not going to be taking the 101s out on the road.

so my 11 VCOs (inlc drm mods) is easily enough for percussion and everthing else.

i dont really do chords. the chord type sounds on my recent tracks and live vids are the Voyager playing 3 VCOs + one or two others going through the voyagers filter from the external input. but they are not static chords, the two extra VCOs are usually linked to the percussion frequenccies by FM so they are both playing different lines on top of the Voyagers line, and that is usually just tuned VCOs not in particular chords but harmonic relationships.

User avatar
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2689
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:41 am

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by hydrogen » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:43 pm

i feel you guys and understand where you are coming from... but for me right now i'm learning to play keyboards and there is something about coming home and pressing 4+ keys at once on my juno and tweaking my el Capistan. its instant space travel for me. hahah... i understand the limitations. and sh!t i'm already thinking about my next synth i still want that sh101 or mc202. but its kind of a toss up to go modular at this point i've got plenty of other mono synths(monolancet, moog rogue, monomachine, pia fatman)... and following that is saving up for record pressings.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest

lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 742
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by lem » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:21 pm

hydrogen wrote:i feel you guys and understand where you are coming from... but for me right now i'm learning to play keyboards and there is something about coming home and pressing 4+ keys at once on my juno and tweaking my el Capistan. its instant space travel for me. hahah... i understand the limitations. and sh!t i'm already thinking about my next synth i still want that sh101 or mc202. but its kind of a toss up to go modular at this point i've got plenty of other mono synths(monolancet, moog rogue, monomachine, pia fatman)... and following that is saving up for record pressings.
I have to agree with hydrogen. I'm getting more focusing on chords and little melodys. I'm sh!t at it! But its a very quick to get going. I think I am still at early stages of this style of production. I do love soaking my Polysix in fx and just playing chords.
oblioblioblio wrote:for me, I think that polyphonic synths rely too much on ideas of harmony that are less relevent to electronic music. I build layers of tonality by using single oscillators as voices with the harmonic layers built in. You can get very complex dense sounds using just 2 oscillators and some clever filtering.

My synth has 6 oscillators total and I don't use anything else. Of course I'm biased becuase I've chosen to use these machines instead of other ones, but I don't think that should make my opinion less relevent. I'm just saying what's right for me.
I didn't mean it to sound like a dig dude. I just wanted to know more about your 'poly' techniques. -smurf

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by steevio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 pm

big floor trance hihi

hoovers !

Dysons ?

User avatar
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2689
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:41 am

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by hydrogen » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:36 pm

steevio wrote:big floor trance hihi

hoovers !

Dysons ?
i loled at dysons!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest

Post Reply