Want to buy... Jupiter 6

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by hydrogen »

I'm looking at getting a jup 6 to accommodate my Juno 106 and fulfill my ultimate sci-fi fantasy. My favorite band Moniker uses one and the sound is just incredible. Is there anything I should look out for? Bad caps? Warning signs? I'm willing to pay extra if the condition is good but I don't want it dying a year or 2 later.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jup6.php

*edit to add photo and link to vintagesynth.com
Last edited by hydrogen on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Want to buy... Jupiter 6

Post by nakoradiomies »

try to look after roland jx-10 also..
they can go quite cheap still, here was one for 500euros or something like that.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

nakoradiomies wrote:try to look after roland jx-10 also..
They can go quite cheap still, here was one for 500euros or something like that.
Be weary that you'll "need" a PG-800 to program it. Or dedicate a controller for it.
I did build a ctrlr panel for it, but it's not finished yet, and the mks70 needed to be upgraded (which is almost finished btw -twisted ).
I have a friend with a Jupiter 6, will try and ask him what you should look out for.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Yeah I've heard that those jx type things are worth looking into. I played on a Jupiter and it was ridiculous, like an army of SH101s (becuase that's basically what it is inside).

If you're going to get one you'd better mean it, it will take a lot of TLC to keep it happy. After around 25 years of use you need to replace the electrolytic capacitors in a synth, which have a limited lifespan and are used in power regulation, so if they go bad (which they will do), they can cause problems. You can still easily find these types of capacitors, and they won't affect the sound.

On a synth like that, unless I bought one that needed 'doing up', I probably would feel a bit worried doing any soldering work myself on it. But there are good techs around.

The other problem, is that Roland heavily standardised their synth production using a lot of chips that appear in all their later synths. So, given the fact these chips are long out of production, and many Roland synths use the same chips you're going to be looking at a high price for maintanance in the future if stuff dies.

One suggestion is that in the modular world, heavyweight manufacturer TipTop audio is putting many of their current eggs in a polyphonic basket. The stuff they were doing looked really affordable and they get a consistant good reputation from modular heads on this forum. I would probably go that route. You won't get the same vibe as a Jupiter, but the savings would be much greater, and you would have a lot more options creatively from being able to your own thing and not be limited to a fixed architecture synth.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Another thing, is that for me personally, I'm not sure how much I like a really MASSIVE polyphonic synth.

My current modular system which I use for all drums, all chords and everything in between only has 6 oscillators, but I have total absolute fine control over every parameter.

I do have a pining for some nice polyphonic action, but if I did, I would probably get something a bit cheaper to do chords and not something expensive with huge sounding analogue VCOs but with quite limited control.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Obli is right on everything he said.

The most important being,
oblioblioblio wrote:.....If you're going to get one you'd better mean it....
My biggest worry would be the Voice Chips, (CEM3340?) can be expensive but they do crop up. A much worse reality is the CPU dies. You would probably never find another one...
That said, you would probably find that you won't run into these problems and it will last for ages. But be aware that if I goes wrong you could easily pay hundreds to get it fixed only to have it go wrong with something else. You could end up buying another with the cost of fixing it a few times.
Vintage synths that have IC's are bit of a minefield.

*edit - I say 'You will probably' a bit too much
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

damn! you guys have me totally freaked out! One of the main reasons i want to get one is for its longevity and classical sound. I have plentiful technical friends to replace the caps... but do you wait till the synth goes bad to replace them? how many caps need to get replaced? :)

Also, Modular is the next project i swear guys. i want that ridiculous sound sound version of something to pair along with my juno 106. and stacking the channels in a multitrack session is great but sometimes there is just too much juno.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

hydrogen wrote:damn! you guys have me totally freaked out!
Sorry dude! I think its for good reason tho. It's something to consider anyway since you are already spending a lot of money.

I would probably wait until I feel something is not right with the synth to start replacing caps. You don't want to needlessly mess with something that isn't broken. If I was going to spend the money, I would probably get it serviced as soon as I got it.
The only caps that you will need to replace will be wherever it goes wrong, sometimes psu, sometimes around the voice chips etc. If I was doing it I would be tempted to replace most of the electrolytics while I had the board out. Even I would be a little concerned dealing with something that is worth so much...
I personally think that most vintage synths are priced way outside what they are worth. And a lot of my opinion is based on the cost of a Jupiter 6.

But if you really want one, get it! I think it will be fine and you will have years of fun!
I wish I had the money for one.