machinedrum uw

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: machinedrum uw

Post by AK »

eggnchips wrote:I also got a MD recently and understand where people are coming from when they talk about its bad sound.
Here are my groans:

-Its very easy to get too much going and create mush.
-It seems hard to fine tune a single sound so it fits in the mix, unless you take off all the lower end away using the high pass filter.
-It's very easy to switch on and make the clichéd plinky plonky minimal sound, and to make something a bit fatter you have to work at it. It's not like say a 909 that would give you results in no time.
-It doesn't handle lower frequencies very well as they sometimes click. Resampling lower frequencies also results in clicks. Is this due to its 12 bit engine?
-It's expensive and for the price, I think more features could have been included. I have only had it for a month and find myself thinking often already, 'I wish it could do this, or this, or this etc etc.' Surely firmware updates could solve these wishlists.

Nevertheless, I will not give up on the MD as I know some of my favourite tracks have been made on it.
On the plus side, I think it's really fun to use and to get ideas going really fast, and I know that I really need to work and work on it until I can get it purring like it should. It does have lots of potential so I just need to realise that. I do not regret buying it one bit.
I could go on about the plus points but thought I would get my gripes out first to see if anybody out there wants to contest, discuss or agree with them.
Well nobody can contest your dislikes, everybody has different tastes and a lot of things are very subjective. Take the Waldorf Pulse, I happen to think it's one of the best monosynths ever, just awesome and a lot of the gripes I hear are that it doesn't really have much of its own character and that it's just good at sounding like other things. But with the MD I think you have to first appreciate that you aren't going to get warm/robust/analoguesque sounds, not saying you have said that but I have heard it mentioned elsewhere. I personally don't get why they would have bought it. It's like me buying an analgue synth and moaning because I can't get it to sound digital.

I don't have the UW version so can't comment on that, I didn't really see that much value in getting that one as I knew beforehand why I wanted the MD in the first place. I'm not using it as my main source of drums - which sounds ironic probably but I have other source sounds for kick/shakers/snares and so on which are more geared towards the type of sound I want in that dept. I'm sourcing sounds from the MD in a percussive nature with interesting harmonic content and also, weird evolving backing tones and ambience type stuff. Essentially, I'm getting a lot of tonal content out of it more so than actual drums. That's really the kind of thing I wanted when I was reading about it, I just can't get that sort of sound from anything else. Sure, there's the temptation to simply use little plops and clicks and 808 type toms etc but you never get into what you can actually get out of it then. When you look at it as a sound source with a sequencer and not just a drum synth, there's an unlimited pallete of unique sounds to be found. I just find it endlessly fascinating myself.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

AK wrote:
eggnchips wrote:I also got a MD recently and understand where people are coming from when they talk about its bad sound.
Here are my groans:

-Its very easy to get too much going and create mush.
-It seems hard to fine tune a single sound so it fits in the mix, unless you take off all the lower end away using the high pass filter.
-It's very easy to switch on and make the clichéd plinky plonky minimal sound, and to make something a bit fatter you have to work at it. It's not like say a 909 that would give you results in no time.
-It doesn't handle lower frequencies very well as they sometimes click. Resampling lower frequencies also results in clicks. Is this due to its 12 bit engine?
-It's expensive and for the price, I think more features could have been included. I have only had it for a month and find myself thinking often already, 'I wish it could do this, or this, or this etc etc.' Surely firmware updates could solve these wishlists.

Nevertheless, I will not give up on the MD as I know some of my favourite tracks have been made on it.
On the plus side, I think it's really fun to use and to get ideas going really fast, and I know that I really need to work and work on it until I can get it purring like it should. It does have lots of potential so I just need to realise that. I do not regret buying it one bit.
I could go on about the plus points but thought I would get my gripes out first to see if anybody out there wants to contest, discuss or agree with them.
Well nobody can contest your dislikes, everybody has different tastes and a lot of things are very subjective. Take the Waldorf Pulse, I happen to think it's one of the best monosynths ever, just awesome and a lot of the gripes I hear are that it doesn't really have much of its own character and that it's just good at sounding like other things. But with the MD I think you have to first appreciate that you aren't going to get warm/robust/analoguesque sounds, not saying you have said that but I have heard it mentioned elsewhere. I personally don't get why they would have bought it. It's like me buying an analgue synth and moaning because I can't get it to sound digital.

I don't have the UW version so can't comment on that, I didn't really see that much value in getting that one as I knew beforehand why I wanted the MD in the first place. I'm not using it as my main source of drums - which sounds ironic probably but I have other source sounds for kick/shakers/snares and so on which are more geared towards the type of sound I want in that dept. I'm sourcing sounds from the MD in a percussive nature with interesting harmonic content and also, weird evolving backing tones and ambience type stuff. Essentially, I'm getting a lot of tonal content out of it more so than actual drums. That's really the kind of thing I wanted when I was reading about it, I just can't get that sort of sound from anything else. Sure, there's the temptation to simply use little plops and clicks and 808 type toms etc but you never get into what you can actually get out of it then. When you look at it as a sound source with a sequencer and not just a drum synth, there's an unlimited pallete of unique sounds to be found. I just find it endlessly fascinating myself.
I am not disregarding its digital sound, but more so its sound quality. It's annoying trying to get a bass note not to click.
Yes, the MD is great for getting those evolving sounds you speak of, but I think it's a shame that you can't exclude certain tracks when manipulating everything to get those sounds.
I have been getting some great ambient results by programming in some good drum loops, then holding the function button and tweaking some of the knobs to control all the sounds and make the pattern sound completely different. It would be so great though to be able to exclude the kick drum or hats from the tweaking - or if I could open another drum pattern that could run simultaneously with the ambient stuff.
I really don't want to be delving into my DAW to get some drumbeats going along with the crazy sounds coming from my MD, nor by another drummachine likewise. I bought it thinking I would be able to do it all from one box.
I believe also that it's so expensive because it's made in Sweden where everything is expensive. Wages, prices and taxes are all high. The Swedish Krona is does well against most currencies.
So it sounds like I am attacking the MD, well like I said I am having lots of fun with it and need to spend more hours playing with it, and will for sure be using in my tracks. It's a nice piece of kit.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

I think it looks good, I cannot wait to get my hands on it and zone out with some (*)
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Here's a very nice live pa (machinedrum uw, xoxbox & 808) btw:

Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I had the same problem with the sound of the MD, but the more i've been using it (I have it for about 3-4 years now), the more i've started to like its sound and to know how to tailor it to my likings. It took me quite some time of listening to tracks that definitely sounded with lots of MD actions to convince myself of delving in it and making it sound the same as those records i was listening to. It's a lot down to the user with the MD. It won't instantly sound good, and the kick drums definitely need layering I use 2 or 3 machines when i can find the patience to sculpt a kick on the MD, or just use something else...

Thought i'd post a selection of some tracks i find really good that have a lot of Elektron machines in it:

anything by 19-454-18-5-25-5-18 (he's had releases on Frozen Border Horizontal Ground, etc) sounds full of MDhttp://soundcloud.com/19-454-18-5-25-5-18ak

Oni Ayhun and of course the Knifes http://www.oniayhun.com/

Repeatle/Mokira/Andreas Tilliander/Kondens http://www.repeatle.com/
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3iONsTlwto[/youtube]
That video actually really made me want to push the MD mastery at least to his skills.

and for good measure another video showing how different you can work with an MD uw.

So, again, it's not the tool, it's the user (unfortunately ;) )

xx edit xx

and as a shameless promo plug, in the remix in my signature, all the drums come from the MD, added a direct player for convenience.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Yes yes yes, it is a fantastic piece of kit. The HG releases were the ones that inspired me to buy it.
I just had to have a moan to get it off my chest.
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djd_oz »

It took me 6-12 months to start liking both the MD and MnM.

The kicks are pretty meh by itself, I haven't tried layering yet and am using samples instead.

IMO it is the most versatile drum machine out there atm.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

forgot to mention actress too btw.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk