machinedrum uw

- ask away
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: machinedrum uw

Post by Barfunkel »

simonb wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:What MIDI interface are you using? and which version of Live are you using?
I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

After a couple of years of owning it I've come to the conclusion that its MIDI is rubbish, it's not even tight enough to successfully update the OS on my Virus never mind sync or trigger things in near-real-time.
I got a Saffire too and it's midi is really rubbish, it's not just you. I could never update my Jomox's OS when I had it, the midi test program just said that you can't use this midi interface for updating. Better to buy an external midi interface to compliment the Focusrite.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Barfunkel wrote:
simonb wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:What MIDI interface are you using? and which version of Live are you using?
I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

After a couple of years of owning it I've come to the conclusion that its MIDI is rubbish, it's not even tight enough to successfully update the OS on my Virus never mind sync or trigger things in near-real-time.
I got a Saffire too and it's midi is really rubbish, it's not just you. I could never update my Jomox's OS when I had it, the midi test program just said that you can't use this midi interface for updating. Better to buy an external midi interface to compliment the Focusrite.
I might look into that, I shouldn't be spending more money on gear but I'm sure it's a good investment ;)
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

I got the sync to work (MD as master). I sent midi out from MD to my Xone 3D and then put Ableton on external mode. Job done and very happy :)

It's a little bit sloppy, but then again I got a 2GHz Celeron and it can't handle the sh!t (vst's etc). I'll try it out on my girlfriends MBP and hope it'll be solid.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

The Pro 40 midi is crap. I can confirm this. I'm using my Akai midi keyboard for connecting midi synths. Honestly, It only makes sense to have your midi device separate from your audio interface. I've considered getting a motu midi interface in the past, but don't really have a use for it now.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I set the MD as master with Abe as slave using the MD Turbo interface. This though causes the tempo in Abe to skip a BPM. This results in jittery audio when playing back which is pretty annoying. I thought this turbo device was supposed to do the trick.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Man, I get loads of sync issues too, if trigger the MD from my Tritons sequencer, it's rock solid, it's also rock solid triggered from the sequencer of the Yamaha Rm1x. I'm writing parts and just recording them into wavelab and then arranging ITB.

I really need a new s/card or interface but judging by you lot, I may as well stick with my old Audiophile 24/96....... :|

What is it about computers and sloppy midi timing? I have never been able to get my head around that. I'm considering getting a new interface and a midisport type thing but fck that if I'm gonna be geting the same sh!t. Anyone remember the Atari STE? That thing was rock solid, you could pick one up for about a tenner now I reckon, it comes with a built in midi port and all you'd need is a midi sport type thing, a copy of an old Cubase program ( poss get one for free somewhere by now as it's years old ) and run your outputs to your computer for HD recording. Those dead early Cubase versions are more than enough if you're just sequencing hardware. I dunno, maybe even slave Live or whatever to it via midi and I'm betting it would be rock solid timing.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i refuse to use the turbo midi interface to sync with the machine drum. for whatever reason i get better midi timing from my motu midi express and fireface 400
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

For what it's worth, the midi out on my Audiofire interfaces never gave any issues at all. I think it's a roll of the dice with midi on audio interfaces. I think for the majority of them (talking completely out my ass right now) midi is probably the last thing they think about when designing their product. That's completely fine with me to be honest. I think Steevio used to use the motu midi interface.

Just another reason to go voltage controlled. You can't fck with a square wave for timing purposes.