machinedrum uw

- ask away
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

machinedrum uw

Post by Pigeon Provider »

Hey dudes

Anyone doing live performance here with one of these or a few other bits?
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: machinedrum uw

Post by jackbrazzo »

No I am not but I am really thinking getting a DSI Tempest.

Got to make a change from just playing records - I still like doing it but I want to make my own beats but I am not really up for staring at a screen - i do that for my day job.

This UW looks fucking awesome though - especially since you can load samples up to it.

There isnt much resource on the web that was really informative so perhaps go to a few stores? Not really helpful but maybe you are in the same boat?
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

when i was playing live i use to have a MD UW among a monoachine and a laptop. a nice tool to play live, expecially if you venture into writing patterns in realtime.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

jackbrazzo wrote:No I am not but I am really thinking getting a DSI Tempest.

Got to make a change from just playing records - I still like doing it but I want to make my own beats but I am not really up for staring at a screen - i do that for my day job.

This UW looks fcking awesome though - especially since you can load samples up to it.

There isnt much resource on the web that was really informative so perhaps go to a few stores? Not really helpful but maybe you are in the same boat?
The tempest is just a bit out of my spending range this time around. It looks very nice. Dam I want one of them now too :(
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

the videos for the tempest make me super jelly.. i almost want to sell the monomachine and machinedrum for this.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Pigeon Provider wrote:Hey dudes

A couple, but not in a Techno way ( I'm just a self contained studio nerd for that at the moment! ). But, I have a group of friends who are live players involved in Punk/Ska bands and have a very musical circle of friends with gigs and what not.

I used the MD on a gig in a venue in Worcerster ( It was in Slap magazine, venue was Marrs Bar ) because their drummer broke his arm but the band didn't want to cancel the gig. I took the MD along to where Steve practices with the band ( Steve being a mate of mine - who happens to be a sh!t-hot bass player ) and got some patterns going with sounds that were relevant to the music. Those were stored and all I had to do was change patterns. Life was 'apparently too easy though, so I also played EP on a Nord here and there.

It worked out really well, I don't feel comfortable with the MD yet as I haven't had it all that long but we got the drums right beforehand and I had a few sessions of rehearsal to get things right with pitching/patterns/triggers and everything else but itt was an odd experience, how often would the MD be used as a substitute drummer in a Punk/Ska/Jazz style band? :lol:
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

AK wrote:
Pigeon Provider wrote:Hey dudes

A couple, but not in a Techno way ( I'm just a self contained studio nerd for that at the moment! ). But, I have a group of friends who are live players involved in Punk/Ska bands and have a very musical circle of friends with gigs and what not.

I used the MD on a gig in a venue in Worcerster ( It was in Slap magazine, venue was Marrs Bar ) because their drummer broke his arm but the band didn't want to cancel the gig. I took the MD along to where Steve practices with the band ( Steve being a mate of mine - who happens to be a sh!t-hot bass player ) and got some patterns going with sounds that were relevant to the music. Those were stored and all I had to do was change patterns. Life was 'apparently too easy though, so I also played EP on a Nord here and there.

It worked out really well, I don't feel comfortable with the MD yet as I haven't had it all that long but we got the drums right beforehand and I had a few sessions of rehearsal to get things right with pitching/patterns/triggers and everything else but itt was an odd experience, how often would the MD be used as a substitute drummer in a Punk/Ska/Jazz style band? :lol:
I bet it was a good experience,

Just out of shear curiosity, did the MD have a jazz preset or other styles you listed built in as factory?

I just bought the new UW version about an hour ago :) the tempest was just too dam expensive for me at this moment in time.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

No mate, we decided in the end to go with the strength of the MD and mix electronic with Live Punk/Ska, :lol:

So it was kinda gated drum sounds all round to give em presence and a heavy compressed feel to cut through the guitars with a lot of top end ramped up from what I can recall ( I was a bit out of it on weed )

It was kinda pre planned like I said co's they didn't want to lose the gig ( some battle of the band thing? ) . The vocalist is an Icelandic girl and she has a really croaky/low voice that was getting in the way of the sound a lot but yeah, drums came through great. I put the time and effort in though :D

[EDIT] No, I made the kit. Had to be hard hitting co's of the music