machinedrum uw

- ask away
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: machinedrum uw

Post by simonb »

Opuswerk wrote:forgot to mention actress too btw.
Good shout, Actress is amazing. His sound is very "digital", for what it's worth.

I just typed a big long reply and accidently deleted it by pressing the back button.

In summary: been having a few sessions with MD and headphones lately. Made some nice sounding loops and sounds, particularly of the heavy warehousey variety, having had trouble making these deep kicks and hard-hitting hihats previously. Also had fun experimenting with making "synthy" sounds using the E12 machines' retrig settings (interesting stuff, you can basically make them oscillators and go wild with the FX and parameters).

Goes to show how long it can take to master complex machines like this, and how going back to them after a while of not using them and somewhat discounting them can give you a new lease of life with them... definitely gonna spend more time with it, especially when I have access to the rest of my setup again. I think I have to take back some of what I said before about the sound not fitting my needs - I'm sure it won't ever be my only drum source but the more I learn it the more it'll be worth holding onto.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

So those who mentioned using other drum sources also, which approach are you taking for recording and integrating the MD into your setup? I tried syncing Ableton up with the MD and to use some of my one hit drum samples, but the sync is awful. I guess the other way would be to record what I have done with the MD and add stuff from Ableton to that later, but that brings me back to arranging by mouse clicking ITB, something I am trying to avoid.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

I can sync MD to Ableton but not the other way around for some reason. I'm sure it's just me doing something wrong or having the wrong settings. Any tips on this?
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

tsankip wrote:I can sync MD to Ableton but not the other way around for some reason. I'm sure it's just me doing something wrong or having the wrong settings. Any tips on this?
Sync is crap in both directions when I try it with the Machinedrum and Ableton.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

What MIDI interface are you using? and which version of Live are you using?

I get a very decent sync here, in both directions. with the latest version of Live 8.2.6 and using both Maschine as a MIDI interface or a ESI MidiTerminal M8U. Using my MOTU Ultralite mk3 always lead to jitter and bad sync. I always found it's much better to have a dedicated MIDI interface for sync purposes.

@eggnchips: I usually either load up samples on the MD, or complete the drums with a drum rack driven by Live. So i have the MD running and being recorded live, while also triggering loops in Live and controlling the sounds with a MIDI controller. Imo doing it half "live" and then re-editing isn't so bad. And usually after a few takes of the MD, i pretty much know i have a good take.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

@AK & @eggsnchips: It's interesting all this ambient and evolving tones you can get out of the Machinedrum. I'm very interested on this!! Can you point me to some examples of music so I can get an idea? Thank you :)
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Opuswerk wrote:What MIDI interface are you using? and which version of Live are you using?
I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

After a couple of years of owning it I've come to the conclusion that its MIDI is rubbish, it's not even tight enough to successfully update the OS on my Virus never mind sync or trigger things in near-real-time.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

simonb wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:What MIDI interface are you using? and which version of Live are you using?
I'm using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

After a couple of years of owning it I've come to the conclusion that its MIDI is rubbish, it's not even tight enough to successfully update the OS on my Virus never mind sync or trigger things in near-real-time.
updating the the firmware on the MD should solve your problem
i use it with the elektron midi interface (TM-1), but get solid timing also with the m-audio midisport and using the midi socket of my rme multiface