Mbase 11

- ask away
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Mbase 11

Post by MarcAshken »

So I'm trying to tune a kick to my track, I can hear what the tune pot does, though it makes next to no difference to the pitch, so I logically move to the pitch pot and while I can hear a change in pitch when I'm turning it it makes no difference after, I ran it thru a spectrum analyser and it confirmed what my ears said. Any idea what's going on, do I have a faulty machine? Cheers
M
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Mbase 11

Post by AK »

There was a thread on the MBase 11 here: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... t=Mbase+11

Dunno if there's anything in that that will help, I don't own one myself although I was looking into getting one, I think a couple of people mentioned something about tuning but I can't recall exactly what context that was in.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

its the pitch pot you need to turn mate.

the tune pot tunes the high point on the pitch envelope, the same as a 909.
so you get a steeper slope the higher you go.

the pitch pot tunes the fundamental of the waveform, and hence the frequency at the end of the decay.

edit ;;;sorry i didnt read your post properly, see below;

make sure you arent in midi note mode ( i dont have my mabase infront of me, so i cant remember the correct terminology for that, but what i mean is make sure the pitch isnt linked to the midi note in your sequencer, you'll need to read the manual )
if its linked to the midinote, you'll hear the pitch change while you turn the knob but as soon as the next midi note is received it will revert to whatever that note is.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

Awesome stevio, just moved the midi note an it changed the pitch, exactly what I was after, now my problem is that when I play midi c3 the kicks pitch is e, a few semitones out, I can work round that tho, nice mate cheers
M
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:Awesome stevio, just moved the midi note an it changed the pitch, exactly what I was after, now my problem is that when I play midi c3 the kicks pitch is e, a few semitones out, I can work round that tho, nice mate cheers
M
that means you are in midi note mode. (sorry for keep calling it that, i cant remember what Jomox calls it)
but you can disconnect it from the midi note and pitch it to whaever you like, you need to read the manual bruv.

in other words the pitch control doesnt do anything in that mode. i always disconnect it and tune my kick to the track.
i suppose that mode is for basslines.

it should theoretically be playing C not E. (unless you've got it transposed 4 semitones in your sequencer.)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Yeah I'm surprised. That it's not playing in the key u are sending it... Makes me want to double check it again... But I swear it resolves in the key you have it set too. That is how I tune my kick personally, but maybe steevio is onto something?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

You know what, even in the non midi note mode the spectrum keeps reading E, pretty much no matter where I pitch it, it's very hard to move it from E without being too extreme, weird
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Hello Marc, this has nothing to do with your original question but i was listening in you soundcloud page to "Sir Ashkenson & The Fabulous Teti - Don Do Dat". I love it. Really well put together. I was wondering how you made those cymbals in the intro sound so good. You put a flanger on them? Is that right?