Structure and Arrangement

- ask away
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Structure and Arrangement

Post by markos »

Hey guys, Markos here.

So i'm fairly new to the boards and somewhat of an intermediate at production. I've just started to come into my own with making minimal music and techno. I've noticed my sound has developed quite a bit but still requires a lot more tweaking and experimenting but I feel that some of the loops i've made are good enough to start sending out to labels.

my question relates to arranging a piece. This has always been the most difficult part of music creation for me and i know that there isn't only one way to do it, but seeking some advice on any techniques you guys use to keep the mix interesting. This thread doesn't have to be just for me so please feel free to ask any other questions relating to this topic if you too are having difficulties! Would love to hear what everyone has to say.

8)
djd_oz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Structure and Arrangement

Post by djd_oz »

markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

WOW GUYS! I'm in shock. Such a wealth of information already in the first 2 posts. Thanks!! Really appreciative.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

If you want to arrange in a particular style, get a track who's arrangement you like and drop it into your session. Keep referring to what happens and when to give you inspiration to develop your own track. The idea is not to copy the track but to inspire you do add interesting things to your own music.

A template is how I learned anyway and also just by listening to loads of records.

I don't really arrange now when I get time to actually write music, I have ideas which I jam with and just hit record in wavelab for sometimes hours but I'll have interconnected or unconnected parts and lots of stuff at the ready but then I'm seriously trying toavoid that arranged feel. I know it inside out and whilst not trying to step on anybody's toes with that comment, it's only because I feel uninspired by linear music and sequencing in a linear fashion from a writing perspective.
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

copy all the beats of one album you like
then rearrange it to new tracks
markos
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by markos »

AK wrote:If you want to arrange in a particular style, get a track who's arrangement you like and drop it into your session. Keep referring to what happens and when to give you inspiration to develop your own track. The idea is not to copy the track but to inspire you do add interesting things to your own music.

A template is how I learned anyway and also just by listening to loads of records.

I don't really arrange now when I get time to actually write music, I have ideas which I jam with and just hit record in wavelab for sometimes hours but I'll have interconnected or unconnected parts and lots of stuff at the ready but then I'm seriously trying toavoid that arranged feel. I know it inside out and whilst not trying to step on anybody's toes with that comment, it's only because I feel uninspired by linear music and sequencing in a linear fashion from a writing perspective.
I can't agree more with the unispired feeling you are getting. It's so hard to even grab a track and copy the progression because even then I feel like i'm just doing what everyone else does. BUT witht hat being said, there is somewhat of an "industry standard" to arrangement since most of us make music for dj's to play and for clubs.

I guess my problem lies within what sounds to introduce and how to properly transition phrases into the arrangement. just starting to get the hang with efx and creating noise builds.

Thanks for all the advice though, this thread has been very helpful!