Dave Smith Evolver

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Dave Smith Evolver

Post by lem »

Pigeon Provider wrote:
tone-def wrote:The encoders feel horrible and using the matrix wasn't for me. I liked the filter but the oscillators were not the most analogue sounding. If its pure analogue sound your after this isn't the right synth. It's very much a hybrid and slightly more digital. Kind of a 60-40 split.
I agree, Weird unit to work around.
Have u got one?
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

lem wrote:
Pigeon Provider wrote:
tone-def wrote:The encoders feel horrible and using the matrix wasn't for me. I liked the filter but the oscillators were not the most analogue sounding. If its pure analogue sound your after this isn't the right synth. It's very much a hybrid and slightly more digital. Kind of a 60-40 split.
I agree, Weird unit to work around.
Have u got one?
Yes I "have" owned one. It does some cool things, but trying to programing those cool things turned my brain off.

Why not try one out if you can?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote:
If I had to buy one new I would consider saving the extra for a slim phatty. I know what I am getting for the money. It's not as flexible as the Evo so it's easier to hear what I want to hear from the demos. But all the demo's I hear of the evo are not showing what I want to see. Altough from the spec I can tell I could get different things from it.
You can't really compare a Moog Little Phatty with an Evolver in my opinion.
2 totally different synths, which you would usually get for different reasons.
Sounds to me like from the reasons you posted above, you want an evolver more than an LP.
and the LP isn't so little in real life, you know.
the evolver either, but somehow the LP seems quite bigger.

why not buy it from something like Music Store, and if you don't like it, you can still return it in the first month after buying and get a full refund.
Check before doing that though, don't just take my word for it, but as far as I know, that option exists.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I sold mine ages ago.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

ok, i'm going to go against the grain and stick up for this super flexible little guy. I have one and I love it! its such an interesting synth with so much depth, the only real issue I have is you really need to use the computer editor to get the most out of it. Sure you can use the matrix to tweak existing patches, but if you wan to start from scratch and really get into the sequencer and all the modulation options, you'll need the editor to begin with. yes the oscillators can sound a little thin straight off, but a very small amount of the built in distortion or feedback loop warms them up. and yes the encoders aren't great, but for the price this synth is so powerful. its architecture is very 'modular' and if you are into layered, rhythmic, evolving, experimental patches and can handle building your patches on a computer to begin with, then go for it!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Hades, I'm not comparing them at all. Only to say, if I had the money for an brand new Evo there are other things i would consider getting. Thats all.
I was using the slim phatty as an example of good demo's of what its capable of.
I not a fan of 'which is better' threads, it seeming more common for 'which is better - $50 synth or $5000 synth' threads these days.

Its good advice about getting it from a store and sending it back if I dont like it. but unfortunatly that goes out the window if im buying 2nd hand.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Audio Dependent wrote:...yes the oscillators can sound a little thin straight off, but a very small amount of the built in distortion or feedback loop warms them up...
This is what concerns me...
BTW, im not expecting moog-power oscillators.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote:Hades, I'm not comparing them at all. Only to say, if I had the money for an brand new Evo there are other things i would consider getting. Thats all.
I was using the slim phatty as an example of good demo's of what its capable of.
I not a fan of 'which is better' threads, it seeming more common for 'which is better - $50 synth or $5000 synth' threads these days.

Its good advice about getting it from a store and sending it back if I dont like it. but unfortunatly that goes out the window if im buying 2nd hand.
ah, now I see what you mean,
must have missed the 2nd hand part.
blame sleep deprivation to the state where I drink Red Bull at work only to sleep less deep for when work actually does come in at night. :lol:

but if you buy used, and you pay a proper price, you can always resell later and not lose a lot of money, no ?
look at it this way : no matter what piece of gear you will buy (and have bought in the past),
there was and is always the chance it turns out it wasn't what you expected it to be, or you notice that it just doesn't gel with the way you prefer to work, and then you end up selling it anyway.
so no matter what : there's always a certain trial-and-error kind of thing involved, even with the piece of gear you think you are/were most sure of.

I bought and sold a lot of synths over the years, and I learned a lot by doing so.
you actually have less risk of losing money when you buy used if you paid a fair price for it to begin with.
And I've even had situations where I once bought a synth, sold it a year later cause it didn't fit into how I worked,
only to think 3 years later : damn, why the hell did I sell that synth, it'd be perfect now !! (-)
:lol: