The envelope thread.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Envelopes. Use em or lose em?

Post by steevio »

anyone thought of using sustain pedals in a live setting. gives you more control and keeps your hands free.

i dont, but i'm going to buy a couple when i can afford it and link them up to some envelopes and see how it feels
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

not thought about sustain pedals but I use the Wiard Joystick Axis generator. For 2 difefrent uses. One is to put an envelope into it combined with another signal, and the JAG then outputs 10 independent variations of these signals by taking the 2 voltages and basically turning them into a 3D vector.

I also use the module with a joystick, and it allows the joystick to get more or less every level at the 10 different output voltages, which means you can have a very large amount of control with a simple movement of the hand, as the joystick with just 2 axes, up and down, can now move thru a very large number of combinations of 10 different output voltages.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:not thought about sustain pedals but I use the Wiard Joystick Axis generator. For 2 difefrent uses. One is to put an envelope into it combined with another signal, and the JAG then outputs 10 independent variations of these signals by taking the 2 voltages and basically turning them into a 3D vector.

I also use the module with a joystick, and it allows the joystick to get more or less every level at the 10 different output voltages, which means you can have a very large amount of control with a simple movement of the hand, as the joystick with just 2 axes, up and down, can now move thru a very large number of combinations of 10 different output voltages.

sweeeeet
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

yep! and it's really simple to understand in practice. When the joystick is near a particular corner or edge, that output goes high.

now available in eurorack.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

tone-def wrote:
kristofason wrote: Other than volume and filter envelopes on kontakt, battery and synths I use, I dont really use them. I'm keen to find out other ways and applications tho?
thats like having a conversation about wheels and saying
Other than the wheels on my car, bike and trolly I dont really use them.

i don't know maybe i'm missing something?

i use them for volume, filter and pitch on samplers and all sorts of things in synths. do attack and release on a compressor count as being envelopes?
In that case I do use them all the time!
Silly me.
:oops:
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: The envelope thread.

Post by eggnchips »

I only recently discovered how much fun filter envelopes can be for getting some crazy noises going. Even the filter envelopes on Abe's sampler, simpler and filter are good at doing this.
I wish the filter envelopes on Abe's filter were a touch more effective though, or is it just me not setting them right?
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: The envelope thread.

Post by Phurniture »

After more than 10 years of using analog synths, it was only recently that I discovered something that now seems painfully obvious. I was always looking for a certain funky, bouncy synth bass sound which was elusive to me. As a (bad)"habit" I almost always kept the filter EG attack at 0 (thinking this would provide the "punchiest" sound).

I finally discovered the bass sound when I started turning up the attack on the filter EG on my Moog Phatty. Once you hit the right level of attack (combined with the right Filter EG Amount level) you get the stringy sproingy synth funk. I don't know how I didn't figure it out earlier!
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

loopdon wrote: I really don't know what's wrong with forums, sometimes, Steevio.
I really just don't know. This might be interesting in this respect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2 ... ger_effect
the funniest part of that article was absolutely this :
Studies on the Dunning–Kruger effect tend to focus on American test subjects. Similar studies on European subjects show marked muting of the effect; studies on some East Asian subjects suggest that something like the opposite of the Dunning–Kruger effect operates on self-assessment and motivation to improve:

Regardless of how pervasive the phenomenon is, it is clear from Dunning's and others' work that many Americans, at least sometimes and under some conditions, have a tendency to inflate their worth. It is interesting, therefore, to see the phenomenon's mirror opposite in another culture. In research comparing North American and East Asian self-assessments, Heine of the University of British Columbia finds that East Asians tend to underestimate their abilities, with an aim toward improving the self and getting along with others.
Americans have a tendency to inflate their worth...
nooooo ! really ??? :lol: