mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:
AK wrote:
No tuning?

Do you have to have a modular to run that? If not, how else could you do it?
tuning - you would have to DIY it, ive been asking on Muffwiggler how it could be done.

shame, missed oportunity there, but they wanted it to be the same as the original 808

you would need a modular frame of some sort with bussboard and PSU to run it. this imo is why its worth getting a basic starter kit, theres going to be so much of this sort of thing coming out on eurorack, its going crazy
Y'know, the more I look at the modular side of things, the more I'm getting tempted. Man, I hate the Internet! :lol:

I'm not sure this thread is appropriate but as seen as it's gone pear shaped already, I was wondering how much it might cost to build a monosynth with a sequencer in modular? Say, 1 VCO, well 2 as I would like it to have a sub ocs, a decent low pass moog type filter and basic filter and amp envelopes. Oh, and of course the sequencer. Essentially, a bass synth. For something like that, am I better off just buying a used synth? Would there be any benefit to creating such a thing in modular over a regular analogue monosynth?
will answer this over in the modular thread mate
Oldskoolbunkert
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Oldskoolbunkert »

got one of these two years ago,
from an australian guy who built those units.

it´s a 808 BD clone but with a extra tunig knob,
which is very usefull. The original 808 only got decay & tone.

it has a midi in and a trigger in.
sound is awesome, if you increase the decay
and reduce the attack you can also get some nice bass sounds.
Last edited by Oldskoolbunkert on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldskoolbunkert
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Oldskoolbunkert »

that´s the back

NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

that's cool about the additional tuning. that modular unit for $99 looks great as well. i thought the reason the 808 didn't have the tuning is because it underpins G# 51.4hz no matter what you do to the tone..
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NoAffiliation wrote:that's cool about the additional tuning. that modular unit for $99 looks great as well. i thought the reason the 808 didn't have the tuning is because it underpins G# 51.4hz no matter what you do to the tone..
thats the 909, the 808 is around 57 Hz i think.

I spoke to Gur at Tiptop, and the bd909 will have a pitch control when it comes out YAY !!!

he also sent details of how to add a potentiometer to the bd808 for tuning the pitch, simple soldering job.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

steevio wrote:
I spoke to Gur at Tiptop, and the bd909 will have a pitch control when it comes out YAY !!!.
Oh, that's awesome. Did he give you any clue to when those would be ready?
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Getting back to the topic. I can hear in Ricardo tracks his kicks never really hit at the same volume. It's like when people say to slightly change the velocity on the hihats the hihats to give a more live feel. I mean a drummer never hits the foot with the same exact punch. Have you tried doing this? What do you think?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

blizt wrote:Getting back to the topic. I can hear in Ricardo tracks his kicks never really hit at the same volume. It's like when people say to slightly change the velocity on the hihats the hihats to give a more live feel. I mean a drummer never hits the foot with the same exact punch. Have you tried doing this? What do you think?
I've never tried that on a techno track, but it's not a bad idea. For a kick though, the range of velocities would be much smaller than a hi-hat. I should try this. Thanks for the idea.