Ricardo Kick

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ricardo Kick

Post by AK »

loopdon wrote:I wonder why Roland chose those tunings?

No idea. I guess it has more to do with the lower frequencies than anything note specific, I did read an article once ( SOS I think ) on how the 808 kick was synthesized, I think there was a 909 too but that was a while ago. Personally, I'd hate not being able to change the pitch without sampling it. You'd find it restrictive in terms of what you could write if you had a fair amount of decay on it. Gm, Fm keys seem to be better, probably Gm in contrast to my last post. Different story with a shorter attack though, Planet Rock was in Bm but that would probably sound horrible with the 808 kick decay set lengthly. Hashim - Al Naafiysh in Fm, can't remember any other old tunes offhand. I'm not even sure these guys were even bothered about the tune of the kick, they might have been but on some of the old records, they rarely seemed to use the kick with any decay on it anyways.

I don't know about in later yrs, affordable sampling arrived so probably everything changed then. I wonder if there's any old records where a long 808 kick was used? Interesting to see what key they used.

Well, it got me thinking anyway. I have a boring day so anything mildly stimulating is good. :P
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I used the longest 808 from a nice sample-pack

http://trashaudio.com/2010/01/roland-tr ... mple-pack/

then i just measured the single-cycle-lengths to determine where the pitch stabilized.
There's a long part which is basically a steady note. You can change that to to your likings.
I am just interested in these things. You can make great music without this, no doubt.
I just enjoy checking things out. Stuff like that, as simple as it may be, seemed like rocket science to me years ago. -urk
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

loopdon wrote:I used the longest 808 from a nice sample-pack

http://trashaudio.com/2010/01/roland-tr ... mple-pack/

then i just measured the single-cycle-lengths to determine where the pitch stabilized.
There's a long part which is basically a steady note. You can change that to to your likings.
I am just interested in these things. You can make great music without this, no doubt.
I just enjoy checking things out. Stuff like that, as simple as it may be, seemed like rocket science to me years ago. -urk
Before the times of spectral analysis tools and whatever else, a very simple thing I got told was to just get the sample and play it an 8ve higher, tweak the tuning and fine tune knobs and drop it back down to its original pitch. The ears are much better at sensing pitch when the sound isn't a low frequency.

I'd much rather rely on this method for tuning personally. You can often fall shy of exact notes but the very slight errors add the human aspect too. If you took a double bass sample of something similar and ran it through pitch detecting software, you'd get different readings across the duration of the sample too but your ears would find the right tuning spot if you were to do it that way.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

Agreed, mate. Little of the music we hear on the radio for example relies on the melodies in the sub 100 Hz region to bring the message (?) over.

After all my brain-shattering attempts to ''understand'' the physics behind music i have come to
the conclusion that it's great that we all do things differently. I'd never tell anybody he needs to tune his kicks or whatever in one way or another. On the other hand i'd never tell anybody not to do so. I welcome anybody to just experiement and find something that works for them at that point in time and in the context of the tune they are working on. In the end it's about a goal
to be achieved and not so much about the path that leads there or the tools that have been involved.