vsts , vsts

- ask away
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

vsts , vsts

Post by Pigeon Provider »

Which ones are you guys using?

I tend to use ableton and sonaklis tbk3 alot , reason is there holding on still and I have a few of the arturia classic rehashes along with the korg digital collection.

Are any of you guys here on labels,beatport?
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: vsts , vsts

Post by lem »

welcome to the forum.

a lot of us on here have released stuff. what that means these days, i dont know!

vst's, i havent bought any since komplete 6(?)

but tbh i don't use vst synths much anymore. if i do, i use ableton drumrack or analogue. thats about it!

what you use doesn't matter, its how u use it.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Hey, thanks for the welcome. :)

Yes indeed learn your tools well.

I think its good if your getting your music played out to big audience , thats the only reason I asked, I bet its a good feeling knowing people are dancing to your beats.

The vst thing, I would love to hear what you guys are doing with your preferred toys, Not to come across as the usual "how do I make this blipon at 15 seconds" more to talk about unique ways one uses a certain synth or other instrument/effect.

(*)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Not VST's per say, but the current computer based synthesizers I'm using are:

Granite - Granular synth plugin. Super fuckin awesome in every way. I almost don't want to tell people about it.

Drum Spillage - A pretty versatile drum synth.

Animoog - Moog's iPad synth. Kinda unbelievable sound out of this thing.

Pixelwave - Another iPad synth. You can draw your own waveforms on the screen to use as tones. Has a lo-fi NES kinda sound. Pretty cool.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I have a set-up now where I can choose between using hardware exclusively, hardware & software, or even just software. So I'm still holding on to some of the software instruments ( although mostly, I use software for effects and have a lot of stuff in that area )

Here's what I have and use as far as software instruments go:

1. Lounge Lizard - I love this for creating custom/unusual EP voices that aren't trying to mimic real Rhodes type sounds. It's the first thing I try out with ideas for chords and anything harmonic, you can get some really interesting tones because of the potential harmonic complexities available by the use of overtones and stuff. Percussive type tones are found easily with this too.

2. NI Absynth. It's the only NI product I use. I once thought about getting Komplete as I thought the NI type sound was the way forward but I grew out of that. A track made with nothing but NI stuff, to me sounds too synthetic and lacking an organic quality. Too distinctive. Anyway, Absynth though, continues to blow me away every time I use it. You could probably make anything on it that comes into your head if you know it well enough. I tend to use it for a lot of things, ambience type sounds, rhythmic textures, as a sampler by loading in and processing bounced audio files and as a percussive module.

3. Vember Audio Surge: Fantastic software synth, just genius IMO. Capable of so much character and so versatile sound-wise.

4. U-he ACE: Another software synth that I actually really like the sound of. I'm pretty new to this so I'm still getting my head around the modular architecture. What suprised me was how good the bass sounds are.

That's pretty much it unless you include Reason. I still use that and have been since version 1. I tend to use it more for its CV routing capabilities, like using an envelope shape from one thing to affect something on something else etc etc.

I try out freebies on a regular basis, these tend to come and go so I haven't bothered to list them, some of them end up being a one-trick-pony and do one thing that I really like. I use a lot of efx stuff in software, especially MIDI stuff like MIDI LFO's - Cable Guys do interesting stuff. If I could have some software right now, it wouldn't be a synth or an effect, it would be Numerology. Damn thing is MAC only though it and doesn't look like it will ever be available for PC. I'm considering kidnapping the developer and holding him to gunpoint to force him to do a PC version just for me.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I haven't got much vsts even though I'm using software exclusively at the moment. Anyway here is the list of what I was using on my old mac;

Reason
Logic bundled instruments
Pro Tools bundled instruments
NI Battery
NI Electronic Instruments 2

Today I'm going to buy a new mac, Reaktor and Presonus Studio One. I'll be using that along with Reason.

I did like some of the logic instruments and effects but the workflow is not for me. I would have stuck with Pro Tools but I don't like the way they do business so with regret I'm moving to my 3rd DAW in 3 years!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

tone-def wrote:I did like some of the logic instruments and effects but the workflow is not for me. I would have stuck with Pro Tools but I don't like the way they do business so with regret I'm moving to my 3rd DAW in 3 years!
I like the Logic plugs, but I have been learning Ableton recently and tried to use Logic and it all seemed really difficult! After a good 12 months learning the thing!
You got it bad tho, 3 daws in 3 years. It's like you attract the wrong type! :lol:

Whats wrong with Digidesign, just outta intrest? Maybe you should just get an Octatrack or something?
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Nice to see people using hardware, I have a couple of groove boxes and drum synths.

Granite is amazing, I tried it out a while back and really enjoyed cycling through the samples you can just drop in. I now use abletons granulator for this.

I also use reason for cv stuff. I like reason 6, it actually sounds good with the new effects and mixer. I have used it since version one as its quick at getting patterns down. Now you can stem everything out and then continue in ableton or renoise. NO MIDI OUT :(

I cant really say much about logic or pro tools, you can produce quality tunes, its just not the way I like to work.

Any of you guys using maschine from native? I had the pleasure of using one for a few days, didn't buy it though as I thought I would wait for revision 2.