After some new headphones. Suggestions?

- ask away
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: After some new headphones. Suggestions?

Post by Mono-xID »

yep,you can't go wrong with beyerdynamics...good luck
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

I'd take beyerdynamic DT 880 for mixing
the 770 are closed design
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Robot Criminal wrote:I'd take beyerdynamic DT 880 for mixing
the 770 are closed design

yeah, like I was saying earlier, I was just looking for some decent sounding headphones as I'm doing a lot of stuff late at night at the minute. If I was actually making important mix decisions on headphones, I'd have looked for the best I could afford but I'm not.

Anyways, they didn't have them ( 880's ), they actually didn't even have the Beyerdynamic 770's. I friggin phoned Digital Village in the morning asking specifically if they had them in stock and the guy said yes, 1 pair! I use the Birmingham store in UK which is about 30 miles from me and because it's a city, parking/driving is a nightmare so I got the train. I got in and low and behold, they didn't have them. Dumbass idiots.

So I ended up having to buy a pair anyways as it was an ermergency and I didn't want to be travelling back again if they ordered them for me. I ended up having to settle for a pair of Audio Technica ATH - M50. Which, to be honest were more expensive than the Beyerdynamics but I have no clue as to whether they are actually better or not. Was using them last night and did a lot of listening and they sound decent enough to me. Bass is a lot lower than my knocakered Sony headphones though ( they were just cheapo things )

I'm not too keen on the coiled cable. I wasn't aware of that when I bought them, it was only when I got them out the box that I became aware of that. Still, I guess I wont be tripping over myself like I did with the others so there is that upside.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Coiled cables last longer in my experience.

I wouldn't have bought any if they didin't have the ones I wanted. I would have told them to sell me the next model up at the same price as the 770's. A wasted journey is no joke. DV have always been pretty good to me, but I have never dealt with retail...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Well they were on my original list of options that I narrowed down but I know what you mean. I did however, ask specifically whether the DT770's were in stock at the Birmingham store and the guy who I spoke to said yes. Then when I arrived, another guy told me they were in stock but NOT at this store. :|

Next time I need something from there I will make absolutely sure they do have the item in stock!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Let us know how you find the AT's dude.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

lem wrote:Let us know how you find the AT's dude.
Yeah mate, I find them very good. I am experiencing ringing in the ears as I type this as I have not long got in and have been blasting out music. Obviously too loud so that's my fault, but first observations are that the bass extends very low - which is a little confusing to me over headphones. I have a few sets of loudspeakers that I check for bass levels and probably the worst set is my Alesis M1 Actives MK2 but because I have had them for so long, I'm familiar with how they work. Kinda like, if you get the bass sounding decent on them, it tends to sound good elsewhere as they have a tendency to muddle up the mids because of their representation of bass ( that honestly might have something to do with my room/s though ) but yeah, that kinda thing.

My immediate thought was that everything sounds deeper and heavier but unlike my Alesis ( or my room ), the mids are still clear and clarity is there through the spectrum. Soundwise, I'm happy. Gripes are the coiled cable as I have said and they tend to cling to your head. Isolation is good though, my mate was knocking at my door and I had them on but wasn't listening to music, I was just editing and arranging. Never heard sh!t lol. It's only that I had my phone next to me that I knew he was at the door. They're not completely silent, I have 2 doors inbetween where I am and where my front door is.