interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by kivetros »

AK wrote:I was referring to the other thread where we were discussing some different and interesting chord shapes. Some were stating a preference for not wanting to use basic major or minor triads but with Dub techno stuff, well, it's sacrilegious not to use minor chord stabs.

Man, I keep meaning to try and write a dub tech type track, I have never even attempted one.
You know, that's what I thought you were talking about, but I wasn't sure.

I started a dub techno track this morning (at least, my own interpretation of what I think dub techno should sound like, not having listened to much)... so far it's a lot of fun.

::BLM::, do you have any killer tips for keeping things interesting and fresh, other than the painfully obvious (filter sweeps, send things to delay and reverb, etc)?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:i love writing dub techno. its the sound that i make the most. most people say its easy to do, but keeping it interesting is the hard part.
that's absolutely true.
once you kind of know how to make dub chords, it's easy enough to lay down a more mellow beat with the chords bouncing around,
but even though that keeps you happy enough for hours, it won't keep the listener interested if there isn't anything more happening.

kivetros, one thing I would do, is making sure the track doesn't sound too clean.
good dub techno usually sounds warm and more "fuzzy analog" (can't think of a better way to describe this)
try adding some white noise.

(a great example of this technique is Deepchord. Juts have a listen to their "Sounds of the coldest season" series, there's noisy stuff everywhere)

you can add this very gently as an extra oscillator when making your patches,
or you can also add noisy textures at low volume, to create a more dirty sounding atmosphere.
you can use some field recordings for that,
or you could use the "vinyl distortion" FX in Live, although that's a bit repetitive to my taste, unless you start running that crackling sound through some other FX of course.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

One of my favorite deepchord records. The A1 cut on Deepchord #7 is the dopest dub techno tune ever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERDxuJr2 ... re=related[/youtube]
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

[quote="Phase Ghost"]One of my favorite deepchord records. The A1 cut on Deepchord #7 is the dopest dub techno tune ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERDxuJr2 ... re=related

Very reggae like that.

[edit] tried to fix your link, but it still wont work.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

Phase Ghost wrote:One of my favorite deepchord records. The A1 cut on Deepchord #7 is the dopest dub techno tune ever.

AK, you've got to take the &feature=related bit off the end of the YouTube link for it to work right.

Phase Ghost, that track is amazing.

I can't wait to get home and try some of the techniques mentioned in your post, Hades. Why does the workday have to be so long?! Lol
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Aha. I will try and remember that.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

My first attempt at this stuff came out like progressive house! -frown 2